Valued Contributor

Re: Direct Deposit Stimulus Starting to Hit Bank Accounts Now

[ Edited ]

The $1200 is going to those working or not, as a stimulus to the economy. Remember years back we got $600, with the expectation we would spend it.The big difference of course is now, those with no jobs or cut hours will use it for essentials, not frivolous items. Mine is pending, and I had planned to buy a new laptop and a chair since I have only one. Hard to entertain with no place for guests to sit. When my employer sent out an email that we may have hours cut, that money will sit in the bank in case I don't make enough for rent. IF there are people who don;t feel they'll need it, they can donate it to food banks which are being used more than ever these days. I won't look a gift horse in the mouth.

Honored Contributor

@KKJ wrote:

@ms traditional wrote:

i believe they were expected Wednesday - but they are starting to hit now ahead of schedule according to news. 

if you paid taxes and IRS doesn't have direct deposit info for you from 2018/2019, go to irs.gov mid-April when information can then be loaded in for direct deposit payment.  but it is not available yet, probably 4/15.   

fyi.

That's what I was going to ask. How and where do we sign up info for direct deposit?

It is at the bottom of your tax return before you sing an date if you want direct deposit and the routing numbers for the acct. I think that is the only way to get this $$ is if your instructions are already on file from previous years.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Respected Contributor

@LisaMofSLC   It's a big difference between the $ 300.00 per person we received years ago and now.  We received that $ 300.00 per person because we had a BALANCED budget and that was the excess.  One year later, 9/11 which proved that the excess should never been sent out.

Two entirely different situations.

Honored Contributor

@Somertime wrote:

It's a big difference between the $ 300.00 per person we received years ago and now.  We received that $ 300.00 per person because we had a BALANCED budget and that was the excess.  One year later, 9/11 which proved that the excess should never been sent out.

Two entirely different situations.

@Somertime 

9/11 proved that the previous $300.00 check should never have been sent out?

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Respected Contributor

@Drythe I should not have said one year later. I should have said after 9/11, we were headed toward a recession.  The $ 300.00 we were given did not stimulate the economy but progressed us further into a deep recession.

I apologize beccause in reading my posting I make did not make it clear.  Thank you for questioning it!

Valued Contributor

@wismiss wrote:

I was hoping to help stimulate the economy by purchasing something locally, but now I'll have to use it for my broken tooth.  Seems like anytime I get a little "extra" something breaks---something needs to be repaired, I need something medical, and now it's something dental.  Shucks, I just have no fun when it comes to money.

I hear you and feel your pain - in the past whenever I worked overtime then in the next few weeks something would happen to my car - well got a new car in 2018, so last year it was dental problems (2 root canals, 1 crown, 1 crown is still needing to be done and several fillings).

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Somertime wrote:

@Drythe I should not have said one year later. I should have said after 9/11, we were headed toward a recession.  The $ 300.00 we were given did not stimulate the economy but progressed us further into a deep recession.

I apologize beccause in reading my posting I make did not make it clear.  Thank you for questioning it!

@Somertime

Thank you, I understand now the point you are making.  

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Valued Contributor

I'm talking about the $600 Bush sent out. I remember that, because I was paying the IRS some $1400, and they kept it to apply to what I owed. I was vey disappointed.

Esteemed Contributor

I just read in the newspaper that our son will not get a check.  He is in college.  It said that any child over 16, who is claimed as a dependent and has not filed tax returns, does not qualify.  My son works at school, but does not earn enough to file a tax return.  So that kind of s*ucks.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Occasional Contributor

If you need to give the IRS direct deposit information, the website will be on their website on 4/17.