Respected Contributor

Re: Direct Deposit Stimulus Starting to Hit Bank Accounts Now

I'm excited. It's hard to have an emergency fund when you're on social security.

Trusted Contributor

I was hoping to help stimulate the economy by purchasing something locally, but now I'll have to use it for my broken tooth.  Seems like anytime I get a little "extra" something breaks---something needs to be repaired, I need something medical, and now it's something dental.  Shucks, I just have no fun when it comes to money.

“I can do things you cannot, you can do things I cannot; together we can do great things.” St.Teresa of Calcutta
Trusted Contributor

@jackthebear wrote:

still think putting it in the bank is the way to go for when gov is looking for recompense for this next year. or if you give it away plan on how you will pay the tax on it 

"one hand gives, the other takes" and all that 

@jackthebear wrote:

still think putting it in the bank is the way to go for when gov is looking for recompense for this next year. or if you give it away plan on how you will pay the tax on it 

---   
What you're posting is incorrect. No one will be expected to pay this back. And it will have zero impact on your 2020 taxes.  

You can google and get correct information. 

Honored Contributor

A good investment in our infrastructure to pay it forward with a tiny portion of your stimulus:

Buy Forever Stamps from the Stamps or USPS website and help save the Post Office we all rely on. Just google Forever Stamps USPS.

The Post Office is really in trouble, exacerbated by this virus. But if everyone buys a book or reel of Forever Stamps, we can help keep the Post Office solvent ourselves. Without Postal Service, people in rural areas will be left without access. Buying stamps is an easy way to show your support for our mail carriers.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Esteemed Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

@jackthebear wrote:

This money will not be taxed and you do not have to pay it back...ever.

What she's saying is that we will pay for all this stimulus. One way or another. Higher taxes, reduced benefits, higher Medicare premiums, higher gasoline taxes, etc.

Free ain't never free. Someone will pay.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Snowpuppy wrote:

@Carmie wrote:

@jackthebear wrote:

This money will not be taxed and you do not have to pay it back...ever.

What she's saying is that we will pay for all this stimulus. One way or another. Higher taxes, reduced benefits, higher Medicare premiums, higher gasoline taxes, etc.

Free ain't never free. Someone will pay.

yep 

I meant to say that the govt never gives free money

Honored Contributor

@SuhseK wrote:

@jackthebear wrote:

@jackthebear wrote:

---   
What you're posting is incorrect. No one will be expected to pay this back. And it will have zero impact on your 2020 taxes.  

I might be incorrect but I think it would be wise to save this money not give it away just save for a rainy day 

Honored Contributor

Porcelain,

Thank you for your inspired, sensible advice!

I'll do that.

Respected Contributor

The Postal Service was in trouble before COVID-19.

Now it’s fighting for its life. They need to rethink how they do business.

The US Post Office, which is losing many billions of dollars a year, while charging Amazon and others so little to deliver their packages, making Amazon richer and the Post Office poorer... Amazon uses the Postal System as their Delivery Boy.

Honored Contributor

@jackthebear wrote:

@SuhseK wrote:

@jackthebear wrote:

@jackthebear wrote:

---   

I might be incorrect but I think it would be wise to save this money not give it away just save for a rainy day 

Some people are not receiving a paycheck. They are behind on their rent and other bills. There is no way they can save it for a rainy day. For some people, it is raining now.

Other people do not need this check.  They have enough money to get by and have plenty in savings.  If they wish to help others less fortunate, that is their choice.  For those who receive a check, it is there to do as they please.

Everyone has different circumstances.  I plan to put mine and my DH's into MY savings account.  He said I could have his share.  I appreciate his generosity.