Honored Contributor

Diffusers, Scents and Aromatherapy

I'm not one who believes in "just smell these uber-pure, so-expensive-they-have-to-be-superior" life-changing essential oils to treat whatever ails you." I like to use essential oil scents in a diffuser to make a room smell pleasant and to encourage sleep or relaxation, and that's all I believe they have the "power" to do.

In the past, I've had three different diffusers ranging from $20-$50. None of them performed as advertised and all of them died within a couple of months, so I gave up in disgust a couple of years ago. But I like having the scents surround me.

The other day I was in Marshall's and they had a diffuser for pretty cheap and tons of oils for cheap, so I picked up the diffuser and two bottles of oil. LOL right off the bat the colored light button is totally non-functional, but I don't care about that. The part that needs to work, does. 

I just ordered more oils online and spent way more than I had in mind - strictly because it was the ingredient oils in their blends that attracted me - their specific combos. If this diffuser dies I'll get one at BBB so they have to give you a replacement ;-)

I've tried just about everything - reeds, candles, plug-ins, etc and I get little to no scent in the room unless I'm an inch from it. The nebulizing (water mist) diffusers are the only thing that really scents a room, for my nose.

What do you like to use/what are your favorites? Do you have companies you like to buy blends from (I don't like DoTerra's blends, Young Living doesn't have many scents)? Do they offer free or $2-ish samples?

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Diffusers, Scents and Aromatherapy

As far as oils, I don't have a preferred source.  I usually wind up buying NOW brand oils at a local health food store when they are on sale.  

But as far as burners go, I use a ceramic one like the one below.  Yes, I have to buy tea lights for it, but it is easy to clean and I never have to worry about it not working.

Image result for ceramic oil diffuser

"Heartburn Can Cause Cancer" -- www.ecan.org
Honored Contributor

@mistriTsquirrel, so you put drops of oil into the top and the heated oil permeates a room? Or do you use the wax tartlets? 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Moonchilde wrote:

I'm not one who believes in "just smell these uber-pure, so-expensive-they-have-to-be-superior" life-changing essential oils to treat whatever ails you." I like to use essential oil scents in a diffuser to make a room smell pleasant and to encourage sleep or relaxation, and that's all I believe they have the "power" to do.

In the past, I've had three different diffusers ranging from $20-$50. None of them performed as advertised and all of them died within a couple of months, so I gave up in disgust a couple of years ago. But I like having the scents surround me.

The other day I was in Marshall's and they had a diffuser for pretty cheap and tons of oils for cheap, so I picked up the diffuser and two bottles of oil. LOL right off the bat the colored light button is totally non-functional, but I don't care about that. The part that needs to work, does. 

I just ordered more oils online and spent way more than I had in mind - strictly because it was the ingredient oils in their blends that attracted me - their specific combos. If this diffuser dies I'll get one at BBB so they have to give you a replacement ;-)

I've tried just about everything - reeds, candles, plug-ins, etc and I get little to no scent in the room unless I'm an inch from it. The nebulizing (water mist) diffusers are the only thing that really scents a room, for my nose.

What do you like to use/what are your favorites? Do you have companies you like to buy blends from (I don't like DoTerra's blends, Young Living doesn't have many scents)? Do they offer free or $2-ish samples?

I wish! For two dollars or so you would get maybe a whiff of a Young Living essential oil. The bottles are tiny and very expensive. One of my very good friends is a dealer. They are not called that but they are. She's a sweetheart, though. She gave me the YL teardrop style diffuser and two or three of the oils as a gift. I know it was well over two hundred dollars even at the dealer's cost because I've seen the price lists.

Omigosh, had to come back and edit. I had a typo that said lust instead of list.

Honored Contributor

@Moonchilde It's too bad you had such a bad experience with the diffusers.  I have a diffuser I purchased for under $20.  You add water and your essential oils.  I always add more oils to the water.  My diffuser has been running perfectly.  I buy my essential oils at iherb.com.  They sell NOW brand and they do have the plug in the bottle to dispense drops.    I put about 10 drops of oil in my water.  I love spearmint alone and also mixed with lavender but I have many other oils.  I think oils are good if you are lightly sick if you know what I mean.  I think they are excellent for rubs if you suffer from arthritis using eucalyptus oil and I love to use orange and tea tree in the diffuser if I have a cold or other upper respiratory problem.  I have been using oils for 16 years and I was introduce to them when I lived in San Francisco.  This lady from France that I went to for massage used essential oils in massage oils and she was excellent.  The oils she used would lift the stress out of me.  I believe oils can help you but you need to know what you are doing and have a book to guide you.  Cat Very Happy

kindness is strength
Respected Contributor

A friend has the nebulizer type and I've wanted one for ages. I've heard that you can't have these if you have cats--the oils are toxic?

I burn scented candles and my cats are fine. Does anyone know if this is true about the oils?

Honored Contributor

@Silver Lining, I have a family member who push..uhh...sells DoTerra and my massage therapist in LA also used/sold it. And I've read about the Young Living/DoTerra connection and split. If anyone wanted to gift me (nice friend you have there 🙂) I sure wouldn't say no, but I won't pay those prices myself - especially since I'm not buying into the "it'll cure anything" promos.

LOL your typo!

Esteemed Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

@mistriTsquirrel, so you put drops of oil into the top and the heated oil permeates a room? Or do you use the wax tartlets? 

@Moonchilde  Yes, I put the oil into the top.  Pure essential oils would evaporate too quickly and be too strong, so I use a base of almond oil and add essential oils to it.

I also have some ceramic tart warmers that are similar, but they are wider and the wells on top seem more shallow.  Not sure if I could or should use those for essential oils, so I don't. 

"Heartburn Can Cause Cancer" -- www.ecan.org
Honored Contributor

@Katcat1, what brand is your diffuser?

What I've experienced is that they're pretty much all made in China and all slap-dash put together with cheap components that just don't last.  People complain that a $75 one isn't any better or more reliable than a $20 one. I'd love to find one that the seller really stands behind if it keeps kwapping out. 

I spoke to a Scentsy rep once who told me that theirs are guaranteed to be replaced with another if they go bad - but their diffusers are mostly $100+. Still, might be worth it.

Honored Contributor

@Ms tyrion2 wrote:

A friend has the nebulizer type and I've wanted one for ages. I've heard that you can't have these if you have cats--the oils are toxic?

I burn scented candles and my cats are fine. Does anyone know if this is true about the oils?

@Ms tyrion2, I suppose it's possible that some scents/oils might be toxic to kitties, but I had a kitty the first time I did this, and I have one now, and neither experienced any issues from me having it going - no sneezing, no problems breathing - and current kitty has asthmatic allergies, so if she didn't react, I'd say pretty safe.