Honored Contributor

Difference Between Blanket And Comforter

QVC is going to have a Northern Nights 500CT 650FP Down Blanket With Dobby Design. The description says you can use it to curl up with at the end of the day or sleep under at night. It shows a picture on a bed using it for sleep. So what is the difference between a blanket and a comforter? I have always used a comforter, but I'm interested in this. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Difference Between Blanket And Comforter

The down blanket is much lighter weight.  I can't stand a down comforter because they're too warm for my climate and body.  The down blanket is just right and since it doesn't contain as much down, it's a lot less expensive.  I can machine wash my down blanket but a comforter is too big for my washer. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

Ccomforters are big & bulky.  Waaay too warm to cover up with, imo.  Down blankets are thinner & not at all bulky.  I have had one for ages & just pre-ordered the new one by NN.  My old one has seen better days.

~Breathe In~ Breathe Out~ Move On~
Contributor

Love my down blanket and it is probably 10 years old.  I keep a cotton quilt on the bed year round because my furry kids sleep on the bed all the time.  In winter I add the down blanket, my thermostat stays around 67  and sometimes the combination of down blanket and cotton quilt is too warm.  love that they are lighter than the comforter and stay in place better.  maybe I will get a second one to have as a spare

Honored Contributor

A comforter usually has large spaces (often squares) that are stitched to hold the fill, be it down, feather or synthetic.  A blanket is usually thinner and has bound edges, which is made to use without a cover.  A comforter usually goes in a decorative case, much like a pillowcase, to keep it cleaner.

I much prefer a big puffy comforter--they come in all weights and materials.  Some of them are wonderful in the summer--it's like sleeping under an almost weightless cloud.  Ones with more fill are great in the winter and are warm without being heavy and hot like some blankets. 

We have a comforter on our bed now in hot hot Oklahoma, but will switch out to a heavier one when the weather gets cold.

I also love cotton blankets!  But that's another story! 

Honored Contributor

Another difference between them is a comforter is usually made to be placed on top of your mattress without going over the sides too much. Blankets otoh are made to drape down along the mattress sides and are usually long enough to tuck.

Honored Contributor

@Sooner  The down blankets are also quilted to hold the down in place.  Without it, all the down would clump in a corner somewhere. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Jordan2 Won't purchase down....if you watch how they "harvest" the down....you won't either.  I have a great "synthetic down" on my bed and it keeps me comfy and warm with no cruelty.  Comforter or Blanket, please consider synthetic.

Honored Contributor

Thanks for all the replies! I live in NYC and the winters can be very cold. I'm always cold anyway and will stick with a comforter. 

Trusted Contributor

I had one of these down blankets years ago, & they're nice & you get all the benefits of a down comforter without the weight.