Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

When it comes to weightloss, the bottom line is calories. There is no way around it. Either cut them or burn them if you want  to lose weight.

I use to think this way too.  However, I think they have to be the "right" calories.  If you are eating 1200 calories consisting of ring-dings, chips, pop and a chicken breast, I think you are going to have a problem.  LOL  At least I did. 

I downloaded the MyFitnessPal app to keep track of my calories.  There was a big difference in my weightloss if I ate my daily calories with healthy foods or more junk.  

Respected Contributor

My husband uses My Fitness Pal.   I use Lifesum     It keeps track of calories and water and exercise.   I have the app synced to my phone so I keep track of my steps.   I try to get to 10,000 every day 

Honored Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

When it comes to weightloss, the bottom line is calories. There is no way around it. Either cut them or burn them if you want  to lose weight.

I use to think this way too.  However, I think they have to be the "right" calories.  If you are eating 1200 calories consisting of ring-dings, chips, pop and a chicken breast, I think you are going to have a problem.  LOL  At least I did. 

I downloaded the MyFitnessPal app to keep track of my calories.  There was a big difference in my weightloss if I ate my daily calories with healthy foods or more junk.  

@Lipstickdiva- I LOVED Ring Dings when I was a little girl (and Devil Dogs)!  I haven't thought of them in years. Thanks for bringing a smile to my face today. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

IMO it's more than just calories, also.  Of course there's portion control, but what you eat is important.

Honored Contributor

FIBER is incredibly important for all of us, especially if trying to lose weight.  It helps make us feel full and it helps clean our arteries.  It also helps with constipation, which can happen when dieting.

We can get fiber naturally with the food we eat.

Here is a list from the Mayo Clinic of the best high fiber foods:

http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/in-depth/high-fiber-foods/a...

Honored Contributor

Re: Diet...can you relate?

[ Edited ]

@Shorty2U

I personally never use the word "diet", unless it is a quote. Too many equate the word with "only weight loss", and that is not my definition of that word. My term is "food program".

Unless one makes a Lifestyle Change, chances of long term weight loss and control, are very unlikely. Again, "long term", I see "as the rest of ones life", not days/months or years.

Is it easy? Of course not. Is is possible? Yes it is possible. I could list a whole paragraph of words and phrases of what it takes to succeed, but my feeling is, most people know all of them. Talking about them is easy, applying them to ones life is not.

I've been the "fat kid in grade and high school", and my wife and many others told me many times "you look like skin and bones", or "are you sick"? Top weight to bottom weight was 90lbs difference. Was any of it easy? After I learned my own personal keys for losing/maintaining and gaining only muscle, it made it more efficient, but easy? No.

It is always easier for everyone else, sure it is!

hckynut(john) 

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@Shorty2U

I agree with posters who recommended a nutritionist.  Also see a professional trainer, maybe one who works with a physical therapy center, to set you up with an exercise program.  A treadmill is not something recommended for someone with a bad back.

Another thing I'd recommend is NOT sleeping late.  If you are awake only for 2 meals, you are sleeping too much.  You'll find when you rise early and exercise, you'll have more energy throughout the entire day.

Pasta and bread may be good but you need to find a substitute for it.

Good luck!

Honored Contributor

I agree with Chrystaltree that you need to see a nutritionist.  Your doctor should be able to recommend one to you.  Whatever you do right now you need to be doing for the rest of your life, and the diet you described doesn't sound like one you could continue forever. 

I do wish you the best of luck and much success!

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

@tansy A metabolic fitness program is for people who have metabolic syndrome---most overweight people.  It included nutrition and work out education.  

In my medical system, UMich, it is housed with the cardiac rehab.  I guess it is like stop cardiac before it happens.

Respected Contributor

You'll do it.

It's always hard at first.

Remember to celebrate the small victories.  A couple pounds lost is a couple pounds!  Don't fret that it wasn't more.

Just keep going and it will all come off.

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero