Respected Contributor

Re: Diet...can you relate?

[ Edited ]

@Lipstickdivasaid: Different things work for different people.  Some of the recommendations here have me SMH because I don't think of some of the stuff as healthy and everyone is giving you ideas of what works for them and weightloss is individual.

----------------------------------------

You are so right and that is the bottom line.

I discovered over many years, after much trial and error, what works for me. I discovered I am carb-sensitive and can't "graze" throughout the day. I gained weight because of the repeated release of insulin. I was constantly hungry with grazing. That's me. I can't speak for anyone else who has found this method successful for them. Increasing protein and limiting feeding times to 2 or 3 times a day has been a blessing to me, but I can't say that my method will work for the next person.

We have a tendency to avidly promote what has worked for us (and I am guilty of that), forgetting that we are all individual and react individually. :-)

Trusted Contributor

I think that your back pain will start to lessen as you lose some weight. It's much easier to move when there is less fat on the body - at least from my experience which included painful sciatica.

Honored Contributor

Yes, I can relate. Head to Weight Watchers. Educate yourself on portion control, what different foods can do to your body ( depending on the person) and keep a journal of how you feel with what you eat: you'll begin to see a pattern emerge as to which foods make you feel alert and have energy and which foods don't-  THIS will tell you a great deal about what your body needs and doesn't.

I wish you all the success in the world.

Respected Contributor

I just went to a 6 month metabolism program.  I lost 9 pounds and now weigh 146.  The secret is slow and steady.

Don't deprive yourself.  Their Mediteranean diet was Weight Watcher's, basically.  Just less meat and more nuts.

I now eat 6 meals a day, about 1500 calories a day, plus cheating.  My bloodwork is much improved.

While I do work out 5 days per week, it can be done without. 

Honored Contributor

@KarenQVC wrote:

I just went to a 6 month metabolism program.  I lost 9 pounds and now weigh 146.  The secret is slow and steady.

Don't deprive yourself.  Their Mediteranean diet was Weight Watcher's, basically.  Just less meat and more nuts.

I now eat 6 meals a day, about 1500 calories a day, plus cheating.  My bloodwork is much improved.

@KarenQVC- my Weight loss was definitely slow and steady. Most of the time just slow, LOL. But in the process of it all, I changed how I eat and I haven't gained weight for over 5 years now. 

I ate carbs. Still do. I had the occasional, every three weeks or so Mexican lunch. Ice cream sundae on my birthday. 

I told myself at the beginning that I wasn't going to deprive myself. That if I was hungry I was going to eat and it wasn't going to be a celery stick at 1:00 PM to "hold me over" till dinner. Once I gave myself "permission" to eat, then I never felt deprived at all. Still don't. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

@KarenQVC wrote:

Would you share what a 6-mo metabolism program is, @KarenQVC?

Honored Contributor

When it comes to weightloss, the bottom line is calories. There is no way around it. Either cut them or burn them if you want  to lose weight.

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

When it comes to weightloss, the bottom line is calories. There is no way around it. Either cut them or burn them if you want  to lose weight.

@SilleeMee

Actually, science does not support your statement. 

Valued Contributor

You have to output more then you input.

Respected Contributor

I wish you the best.   I'm not going to get into the 'how' to do it as others here have given lots of opinions on that.

I want to warn you about drinking so much water that you 'float'.   My sister has always been a huge water drinker.   Last fall she started acting really strange, had memory issues, lots of confusion, inability to speak and other things.

She also has seizures and had a mild one when she was out and alone so someone called 911.  While in the hospital they discovered that her sodium level which should be 134-145 was in the low 20's.   We learned that you can die from dangerously low sodium and that there are many symptoms.

I would like to suggest that you read about the dangers and if you see any that you have, get your blood work done.   The DRs. told her that it's not uncommon in people who drink too much water and that YES you can drink too much. it flushes the good things, like sodium, that you need out of your body.  She now drinks some water but also Gatorade and other sports type drinks that have salt in them.   She struggles with keeping her levels up.

Best to you.