Esteemed Contributor

Diet Pepsi Drinkers - Sucralose

[ Edited ]

Though I gave up my fav Diet Pepsi about 2 years ago, I purchased a couple of 2 L bottles lately, wanting that bubbly cold taste with the heat and packing and moving.

But - - - - EWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!  That new sucralose sweetener is awful!  It makes the Pepsi so darn sweet and the sucalose taste sticks to my tongue.  I'm dumping the rest and switching to 7-up for sure or something else that doesn't have sucralose in it.

Anyone else have the same reaction or is it just me?

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Diet Pepsi Drinkers - Sucralose

Oh no don't tell me that..lol. I gave up diet (decaf) Pepsi and diet decaf (local) iced tea. But I just bought the new diet decaf Pepsi with this new sweetener tonight. I did not drink it yet. It's chilling and I will drink it later today (its 1:11 AM here). I will come back and let you know what I think later today. I hope i like it! lol.

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Honored Contributor

There are the three (aspartame, sucralose and saccharin), or four if you count the "natural" stevia", sweeteners.

Everyone prefers the taste of a different one, or hates a different one. I seek out sucralose-sweetened beverages, pancake syrups, etc. because it tastes more natural *to me*, and I don't get a weird after-taste or the bitterness I taste with aspartame. Of all of them, to me personally, stevia tastes the worst. I can't stand it. But it's all individual. Some will love one/hate another and the next person will be the reverse.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

I've thought a few things that stopped using aspartame and started with sucralose were actually an improvement .... OP, maybe it's partially because you haven't had the Pepsi in a long time?   

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

I've thought a few things that stopped using aspartame and started with sucralose were actually an improvement .... OP, maybe it's partially because you haven't had the Pepsi in a long time?   

@Tinkrbl44

@Shorty2U

Tinkrbl44:

Good thought; however, my husband thought he recalled seeing an old 2 L bottle of caffeine-free Diet Pepei in the back of the pantry and so late this evening, he went digging.  We were going to do this anyway tomorrow with the pantry, as we're moving on Thursday.  He was right.  There was a bottle that had been back there for some time. He placed it in an ice bath for an hour and I had a glass.  It tasted like the old Diet Pepsi I knew, so honestly believe my issue is with he sucralose.

As a side-bar to this discussion, in 1994 I had to have a root canal, so chose a new dentist much closer to work and he came highly recommended by our CEO.  Wonderful and kind dentist.  At one point about 2/3s of the way through the procedure he placed a white powdery substance on an instrument and applied it way up into the tooth he had just drilled.  In doing so, some of the powder fell onto my tongue.  OMG!  that was the most vile stuff I've ever had in my mouth in my life.  After my dentist removed the "dam" and hardware from my mouth, I asked him what that awful tasting stuff was that he had placed up into my tooth.  He said, "Ahhh, that's very interesting.  Do you know you're special?"  "No," I said, "what do you mean?"  He went on to explain that the powder/chemical is one which only 2% of the population in the U.S. can taste.  He then stated that I just might qualify as a "super taster."  Soooo, this got me thinking today about this sucralose and what you said.  Honesly, after recalling what my dentist said, I think I have "interesting" taste buds, to say the least.

Honored Contributor

It has been my experience that all Stevia based sweeteners can range from "perfect" to "ghastly". I like Truvia and also the Stevia products that are sold under Trader Joe's and Vitamin Shoppe brands.

Pure Via is the worst of the Stevias for me (AWFUL, with a nasty lingering after taste, and curiously, NO SWEETNESS).

Of the artificial sweeteners, Sucralose is my favorite, but I do try to avoid ALL chemical sweeteners except for a very infrequent diet soda.

Esteemed Contributor

I quit drinking diet soda after reading how bad it is for you. I just drink water now........I don't even crave it anymore....

Respected Contributor

I find it amusing that people will first drink soda at all considering how bad it is for you and that is easily researchable on the web.

That being said that people will drink sugar free or decaf so as to not have all that sugar but think nothing of ingesting "sweetners" that are bad for you and inhibit the ability to loose weight over time. 

These are all chemicals that are not good for you this one has been around a long time and is equally as bad as others.

Esteemed Contributor

@violann wrote:

It has been my experience that all Stevia based sweeteners can range from "perfect" to "ghastly". I like Truvia and also the Stevia products that are sold under Trader Joe's and Vitamin Shoppe brands.

Pure Via is the worst of the Stevias for me (AWFUL, with a nasty lingering after taste, and curiously, NO SWEETNESS).

Of the artificial sweeteners, Sucralose is my favorite, but I do try to avoid ALL chemical sweeteners except for a very infrequent diet soda.

I get no sweet taste from ANY of the stevias I've tried.  And that includes more obscure brands that I've seen recommended on various forums.  They all taste kind of like licorice, which ruins the taste of my coffee, tea or whatever.  I've come to the conclusion that I have weird taste buds that don't register stevia in the same way as other people.  It's upsetting to me because I really eat very healthy otherwise, but I have to stick with Splenda as a sweetener.

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Trusted Contributor

Actually, what is disturbing is that people will make judgments regarding others' dietary habits and condemn the consumption of "chemicals" without the basic understanding of what a chemical actually is (everything we consume is a chemical) and base information on a weak understanding of science, at best.

While some may think attending Google University and searching the web provides knpwledge, it actually only leads to intellectual laziness as people rely on what is frequently flawed and biased informaiton rather than peer-reiewed, objectie information.

While the overconsumption of sodas may hae no health benefits, the use of sugar substitutes still has not been proven to be dangerou or detrimental.