Honored Contributor

@ShowMe wrote:

@tansy wrote:

I did the WW thing back in the late 60's.....it was horrible back then.  Hated having to go every week and step on the scale.  But I do have to say I love liver that is browned and smothered in onions.....  When I worked at Dillard's and ate in the dining room for my main meal, I often ordered the liver and onion plate.  It was served with mashed potatoes and a small dinner salad.  That made a nice dinner.  I have heard that if  you soak fresh liver in milk, it does change the flavor of it....makes it more tolerable.....

@ShowMe

I love liver and onions ... I haven't made it (or even thought about it) in years!  My father and I loved it - my mother couldn't even stand the thought of it - so she never made it.  Whenever I visited them, I'd cook up a batch for my father and myself .. and make something else for Mom.  

I may make some this weekend!  (Thanks for reminding me ...)

Honored Contributor

Ok, I'm off to make my lunch.  Having a tomato and Miracle Whip on Italian bread.....  Just love those kinds of sandwiches.

Honored Contributor

@ALRATIBA wrote:

@ShowMe wrote:

@tansy wrote:

I did the WW thing back in the late 60's.....it was horrible back then.  Hated having to go every week and step on the scale.  But I do have to say I love liver that is browned and smothered in onions.....  When I worked at Dillard's and ate in the dining room for my main meal, I often ordered the liver and onion plate.  It was served with mashed potatoes and a small dinner salad.  That made a nice dinner.  I have heard that if  you soak fresh liver in milk, it does change the flavor of it....makes it more tolerable.....

@ShowMe

I love liver and onions ... I haven't made it (or even thought about it) in years!  My father and I loved it - my mother couldn't even stand the thought of it - so she never made it.  Whenever I visited them, I'd cook up a batch for my father and myself .. and make something else for Mom.  

I may make some this weekend!  (Thanks for reminding me ...)

Can I come join you????  lol.  Enjoy.....

Respected Contributor

@tansy wrote:

@Shanus wrote:

I’m a little surprised with all the diet advice, mine included, no one has mentioned exercise. Muscle burns more calories. Sitting on your behind and eating prepared food from a box, yuck! ....and, yes, me a size 2 stay on a diabetic diet (for over 2 decades because of family history). I cook my own food and learned how much of each to put on my plate. It’s not rocket science.

Sorry to preach, but pre-prepared foods do not teach you how much or what to eat. You’re hooked on a boxed meal.

Exercise helps to maintain weight loss and but has little value for actually losing weight.  Obviously, being fit has other benefits.

I agree @tansy.

Exercise helps with cardiac health and muscle and flexibility issues, but the only way to lose weight is to eat less than you burn. 

There is no magic in it. @dooBdoo also made good points. There are a lot of charletons out there preaching their versions of good nutrition. IMO,  anything that drastically cuts out a food group is suspect and for most people unliveable in the long run.

Honored Contributor

@bootsanne wrote:

I just question with all the low-fat, no-fat, sugar free foods, all the diet pills and weight-loss systems, why as a nation we are still getting larger and larger?  

@bootsanne

It’s not a mystery.  

Many USDA/WHO reports will give the reasons why.

And many of these reports will trend out decades (70s-‘00/‘10).

Why are we getting more & more obese?

1. Consuming more calories (20+% more)

2. Consuming more fat (20+% more - oils)

3. Consuming more grains (20+% more - refined baked items)

Increase of fast food & dairy falls within the fat/processed groups.

Fats are 9 calories per gram & fat is stored as fat, unlike

carbohydrates which are 4 calories per gram & is used as energy.

That’s I continue to champion for a whole foods, plant-based diet

low in fat...which is also high in fiber (healthy for the gut bacteria).

Honored Contributor

@ShowMe

Since every single program I watch has been pre-recorded via DVR?  The only commercials I see are the ones I want to stop the "commercial-skip option" to watch.

I do not use the word "diet" unless I am quoting. Too many people think that word means only weight loss, and I am not 1 of them.  Unless one is fully committed to a lifetime, LIFESTYLE change, no weight loss "diet" is going to work, long term(which to me means the rest of their lives), to maintain the weight they choose.

hn

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor
I am surprised Jesse James Decker is still on....I read she will be losing sponsors because of the photo that came out of her with her baby.