Valued Contributor

@LyndaGee  I agree about them keeping Marie because she has kept the weight off, even though she's had so much work done she's almost unrecognizable.  I just question with all the low-fat, no-fat, sugar free foods, all the diet pills and weight-loss systems, why as a nation we are still getting larger and larger?  

Honored Contributor

Re: Diet Commercials

[ Edited ]

@sidsmom wrote:

Optimum weight loss, healthy weight loss doesn’t have a commercial.

And like @phoenixbrd said...it doesn’t have a box, either.

So many of these commercials tout

protein this,things

protein that,

protein,

protein,

protein.

There’s nothing about this nutrient which holds magic, mystical powers.

People have really bought in to this scam.

@sidsmom.....oh how I hope and pray that you don't ever have to eat or drink anything that is high in protein like I have to do.  I didn't lose weight by any kind of diet food.  Have gone down from 2X in some things to an L (and a medium in some things)......that's a lot of weight to lose when you are battling what I'm battling.  There are many things that are great for protein, and very healthy.  

Esteemed Contributor

The salt content of those prepackaged foods are high....

Honored Contributor

It’s just a simple micro-nutrient in all foods, like carbohydrates and fat.

If one is losing weight, it’s probably a reduction of calories

or fat.  Not the increase of protein.  Protein has the same number of 

calories per gram as carbohydrates....4 calories/gram.

As mentioned, weight loss is usually reduction of fat...9 calories/gram. 

All that overload of protein is not good for the kidneys.

But if a pair of skinny jeans is more important than health.....

Honored Contributor

@ShowMe  I am so sorry that you are dealing with this devastating disease.  I could never follow your doctors instructions, but I'm not here to judge others.  I am wondering if you have ever seen "Chris Beats Cancer"....it is life affirming - lots of free information and videos.  Sending you lots of love.

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

@sidsmom.....I'm not just eating high protein foods.  I can eat anything I want.  And I am doing that.  Even having a very cold Bud Light draft.....  I love anything in the Mexican or Chinese food lines.  And want to get one of the Arby's BBQ rib sandwiches I've seen on TV.....it looks delicious.  I am really enjoying drumsticks and Klondike Heath ice cream bars......

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom  such a sister, I was just going to write that there are high protein veggies (nutrient dense/calorie light)....no one has ever died of a lack of protein, in fact the opposite is more likely.  Eating real food supports health.

@sidsmom wrote:

Honored Contributor

@phoenixbrd wrote:

@ShowMe  I am so sorry that you are dealing with this devastating disease.  I could never follow your doctors instructions, but I'm not here to judge others.  I am wondering if you have ever seen "Chris Beats Cancer"....it is life affirming - lots of free information and videos.  Sending you lots of love.

@phoenixbrd.....Thanks.  Yes, I have been battling it for more than 3 1/2 years now.  Have metastatic melanoma, and have a tumor on my back that has really given me a lot of trouble.  Took OPDIVO treatments every 2 weeks for 3 years, and it started giving me problems.....so my oncologist wanted me to get radiation treatments.  Let me tell you, that was no picnic.  It has been a little more than 4 weeks now that I had my last treatment.....it is doing its work, but have been dealing with radiation burns.  They are healing up now.   The radiation doc said that it could be 4 to 6 weeks or longer for it to do its job.  I was in a pretty weakened condition when I went in for the first visit with her (consultation).  She said she didn't think I could do the treatments for 5 days in a row and off 2.....so she had me have one treatment (equal to the 5 treatments), which was pretty powerful and hard on me.  Just now starting to get some strength back.

No, I have never seen Chris Beats Cancer.  I did see one on a young lady that had skin cancer and how much she had to go through.....could this possibly be the same woman????

Respected Contributor

I follow the common sense diet which is not a diet at all. I eat clean...real food, no artificial anything, and I portion control.That junk in boxes scares me,as far as MO goes, I find her quite scary looking...

Honored Contributor

My St. Louis Cardinals will be playing a game with the Washington Nationals in about an hour....and I still have to fix my supper.  Will only be watching, not having a thread.  

If I'm not too tired after the game, will try to come back on here to see what anyone has to say.

Have a good evening.