Super Contributor

Diet Coke Lovers - Time to Stock Up!

[ Edited ]

I'm not a Diet Coke lover, but I know some people really are addicted to it. Woman Wink

Well if you're an addict, based on this report from local news, maybe you should stock up now just in case. It says supplies right now are OK but :

Diet Coke production could be impacted by coronavirus

"The sugar alternatives Coke uses in Diet Coke and its other zero-sugar drinks have been delayed, the company said in it's annual report released Monday, CNN reported.

“However, we may see tighter supplies of some of these ingredients in the longer term should production or export operations in China deteriorate,” Coke said in the filing, according to CNN.

The ingredient that could be impacted by the virus is sucralose, also known as Splenda, which is used in not only in some Diet Coke variants, but also Powerade Zero. It is sourced from suppliers in both the US and in China, CNN reported. But the company did not specify what exactly could be delayed.

https://www.wftv.com/news/trending/coronavirus-diet-coke-supplies-could-be-affected-by-outbreaks/X6N...

Respected Contributor

Re: Diet Coke Lovers - Time to Stock Up!

[ Edited ]

that's one "hardship" i think we can live with if necessary i think we'll learn from this how much production went overseas over the last decades.  it will be good to bring back what we can.

Honored Contributor

Diet Coke goes bad after a few months so you can't really stock up too much.
This sounds like a good excuse for Coke to raise its prices too.
Honored Contributor

Sounds like a good time to kick the habit.

Honored Contributor

I used to have a serious Diet Coke addiction. I now have 2 or 3 a month as a treat. I can't believe I couldn't start the day without one. 🤷‍♀️

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

A lot of things have Splenda in them. What else be in short supply? Or is this just a way to push sales?

Respected Contributor

I don't drink diet anything so no worries here.

Honored Contributor

I don't ingest anything with Splenda in it. 

Honored Contributor

I read that too.  I always have Diet Coke in my fridge along with other soft drinks, wine and beer.

I keep it on hand for company and don't really drink it often... maybe once or twice a year.  I do drink ice tea with Splenda   I buy Splenda in a big box from Costco.  I wonder if the packets will be in short supply too.

Honored Contributor

Well those who don't drink things with Splenda then wouldn't miss anything. Good for you. Others do though; hence this thread.