Honored Contributor

Re: Die of a heart attack, have the antibodies, it’s a COVID death

[ Edited ]

@bikerbabe wrote:

One of the highest risks of having a heart attack is immediately following the flu. Well-known for years. 

A major cause of death from the flu is pneumonia. 

Chinese researchers have reported higher risk of heart attack in COVID-19 patients.

There is a connection.

@bikerbabe 

....and that's why I continue to champion for better

health via nutrition.

The majority of heart disease is caused by food choices.  
Plain & simple.  

And those ailments from poor food choices can affect us in

many different ways, as we are discovering right now.

#LFWFPB🌿🥬🥦

Respected Contributor

There are many who have gotten the disease and both recovered and not, who were not tested due to the unavailability of test or the diffuculty in obtaining them. Numbers are much higher than are being reported due to this and the desire of some to keep the numbers lower for personal advantage.

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Marp wrote:

@Sapphiregal wrote:

@Blahblahvampemer wrote:

I was always skeptical of death stats because my mother's death certificate isn't accurate (along with other family members), and pneumonia deaths are thrown in with the flu, but if you die of anything with the antibodies in your system, they're tossing it under COVID. You were two days away from death anyway, but it's the virus?

So much for the true numbers with any pandemic/epidemic.

@Blahblahvampemer 

I wish they would give up some statistics on how many deaths last year from the regular flu versus deaths thus far from this COVID19. Seems there has been no mention of that.

@Sapphiregal

Flu--CDC estimates that so far this season there have been at least 39 million flu illnesses, 400,000 hospitalizations and 24,000 deaths from flu.  https://www.cdc.gov/flu/weekly/index.htm

Covid--

COVID-19: U.S. at a Glance*†
  • Total cases: 163,539
  • Total deaths: 2,860
  • Jurisdictions reporting cases: 55 (50 states, District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, Guam, the Northern Mariana Islands, and the U.S. Virgin Islands)

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/cases-updates/cases-in-us.html

@Sapphiregal,   Comparing COVID-19 with seasonal flu just looking at flat numbers doesn't provide a useful picture.   I'll add some info I posted on another thread in case it helps illustrate the pitfalls in simple comparison between the two.

Dr. Anthony Fauci in interviews explained that COVID-19 is much more highly transmissible and has a high degree of mortality, morbidity.   The growth rate has been much more rapid, too.   We have to look at growth rate, death rate, and look at it exponentially rather than linearly.   I think this website does a good job of explaining this:

https://ourworldindata.org/coronavirus

This part of the site has their charts, maps, visualizations (in some cases these are more helpful -- for me -- than just reading the explanations):

https://ourworldindata.org/coronavirus-data

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

@Blahblahvampemer wrote:

I was always skeptical of death stats because my mother's death certificate isn't accurate (along with other family members), and pneumonia deaths are thrown in with the flu, but if you die of anything with the antibodies in your system, they're tossing it under COVID. You were two days away from death anyway, but it's the virus?

So much for the true numbers with any pandemic/epidemic.

@Blahblahvampemer 

Think it was about a week ago when I heard this. The news said "the 1st death of someone under 18 was added". The original cause was listed as COVID-19.  A few days later that was changed to "death caused by previous underlying problems". They were not listed, but the "cause of death" was changed.

Will mistakes be made in a time like this? Of course, there is no such thing as perfection, at least not in my view. My mother was diagnosed Rheumatic Fever Heart Disease when she was a very young and lived with this till she died.

Her last hospital stay she did not make it, she was 70. Her death certificate listed under "cause of death"?  Pneumonia! Sure she had fluid around her lungs and heart, but her death was caused by her heart's inability to function enough to prevent this. To me, Heart Disease killed her. But officially listed? Yep, Pneumonia.

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@Lipstickdiva 

Guess I have more faith in the Medical Profession, the ones risking their lives to help save others. I do not believe any of them would intentionally misinform on the cause of death. What purpose would that serve?  Is any profession perfect? No, but in these critical times I will bet on the Medical Profession being at the top were a poll be taken.

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@Sapphiregal 

I saw some time back a figure for 2019 listed as 62,000 deaths from Pneumonia. That was on a newscast. Accurate? Just repeating what I saw.

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@Porcelain wrote:

So don't look at the statistics and maybe they'll go away. Like magic.

@Porcelain 

Well, the OP certainly disappeared.

Honored Contributor

I heard on the news this morning that many were calling 911 believing they were having a heart attack.

When they were admitted it was determined they were not having a heart attack but had covd 19 so I took this as that chest pain which they have mentioned before as a symptom was that-one of all the myriad symptoms of this virus.

I realize this is probably not talking about the different death statistics just thought I'd mention this because

it can possibly be confused with not being honest reporting when actually this part is true-they were not having a heart attack. Still many of those actual symptoms are very scary esp for some. They are also wondering why some deteriorate so fast, even healthy young, while some don't and also why many seem to get better than take a turn for the worse.

Anyway, all the more reason to stay home and away from everyone we can other than family, etc. Hopefully hopefully we can all come out on the other side and even if we do get it, we will recover well!

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@dooBdoo, this coronavirus and the subsequent COVID-19 has a very characteristic pneumonia that is occurring that is quite different than any pneumonia associated with any type of influenza we have seen to date.  

So anyone dying of COVID-19 with that on their death certificate right now has fallen in that category.  Doctors aren't dumb.  They know what they are seeing, how it is different, etc.  

I wish I could share a closed group blog from an ER doc in New Orleans that is blogging on a regular basis as to what he is seeing, etc.  Quite sobering.  Written from a technical point of view and giving other health care providers out there a heads up on what is working for them or not working for them.

One thing he specifically mentions is not to treat with steroids since it exacerbates the type of pneumonia being seen.  We would typically use steroids for pneumonias as a secondary infection resulting from an initial influenza infection. Unless the patient has a specific condition that has contraindications for steroids. 

Additionally, while it is usually standard protocol for those that are starting to show signs of dehydration in these states to receive fluid boluses (IV fluids infused at a pretty good clip), he is saying "leave them dry".  They had early problems with the patients' pneumonia increasing and being able to maintain adequate oxygen levels when they started fluid boluses.  So again, he advice is short...."leave them dry".  They do better.  This is definitely different than any other type of pneumonia typically seen with influenza.

Not to mention that the pneumonias that are typically seen in influenza patients tends to be a secondary bacterial infection.  Those are readily diagnosed by diagnostics, including a sputum for culture and sensitivity which identifies the causative organism of the bacterial infection in those patients.

In COVID-19 the pneumonia is viral.  Totally different pathology. 

So the hallmark signs of COVID-19 are pretty characteristic for this specific disease.  

ETA: in most areas that are absolutely overhwelmed at this point (New York, New Orleans,  in the past Washington state....they are too busy to test for antibodies.  Unless they are involved in a clinical study involving antibodies for chronavirus, they don't have the time or supplies to test everyone for antibodies.  And they would see that as ludicrous to take the lab tech's time and effort to run the test when they are absolutely overwhelmed and that information doesn't change what they do to treat the patient. 

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@pitdakota,  I recently read this letter about lung recuitability and have been curious as to whether this has been investigated.  Anything in your private group discussions about this or personal thoughts about viability?

https://www.atsjournals.org/doi/pdf/10.1164/rccm.202003-0527LE

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.