Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Didn't anyone ever pay attention in history class

@Noel7 wrote:

@itiswhatitis wrote:

@Jacie wrote:

Education has really become "interesting". The current history books are not even a close semblance of the "history" I was taught in school.

Political correctness has changed how the Civil War is taught, if at all.

It's more troubling to me that we are changing the books and trying to "right" wrongs vs. just laying out what happened during that time.

Political Correctness is what kept us from truly learning as much about our founding as we could.  Some people still have no clue that Blacks fought  (as Slaves).  I had a graduate degree professor tell me "he never saw that in a history book."  I agree with him because, no one really taught about that truth.

@itiswhatitis

You have a good point about certain things not being taught in history books, but I wouldn't call it political correctness.  Slaves were often forced to fight in place of a member of the family, but usually they weren't given guns when sent in as a Southern replacement.  They became the cooks and took care of equipment, jobs like that.

Some were able to escape and fought for the Union, others were free men and joined to fight for the Union.

We still have people who want to change that part of history and soften it up, there was a case recently in favor of calling slaves "unpaid workers".

They did have weapons

https://www.archives.gov/education/lessons/blacks-civil-war/

*Call Tyrone*
Honored Contributor

@tedEbear wrote:

Well, I have to say here,  SOME people that get a microphone shoved in their face are going to give , after hemming and hawing around, a stupid sounding answer so they have a MUCH BETTER chance to be on TV.

This thread has been all over the place and a lot of fun, typos, misspellings, silly things.

And for EVERYONE'S information:  If it had not been for JOHN WAYNE, we would not have left England and fought the Indians, won the west, WWI, WWII, and any other kerfuffle we have been in.  So said my history teacher in 12th grade. SO THERE!!!!!!----tedEbear      That last was A JOKE in case you might have thought otherwise.

@tedEbear

I disagree ....  I seriously doubt that the "stupid" people mentioned above would have had very much insight into the criteria used by the show's producers to determine what makes the cut.    IMO, they just weren't that smart.

Honored Contributor

@itiswhatitis wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

@itiswhatitis wrote:

@Jacie wrote:

Education has really become "interesting". The current history books are not even a close semblance of the "history" I was taught in school.

Political correctness has changed how the Civil War is taught, if at all.

It's more troubling to me that we are changing the books and trying to "right" wrongs vs. just laying out what happened during that time.

Political Correctness is what kept us from truly learning as much about our founding as we could.  Some people still have no clue that Blacks fought  (as Slaves).  I had a graduate degree professor tell me "he never saw that in a history book."  I agree with him because, no one really taught about that truth.

@itiswhatitis

You have a good point about certain things not being taught in history books, but I wouldn't call it political correctness.  Slaves were often forced to fight in place of a member of the family, but usually they weren't given guns when sent in as a Southern replacement.  They became the cooks and took care of equipment, jobs like that.

Some were able to escape and fought for the Union, others were free men and joined to fight for the Union.

We still have people who want to change that part of history and soften it up, there was a case recently in favor of calling slaves "unpaid workers".

The fact is they fought.  Another student and I discussed this, as the student thought they weren't allowed to.  Then the professor follows up with "I never saw that in a history book."

That's true, quite a few fought for the North, not that many fought for the South.  There are very informative articles on this subject available online, most say they still don't know the actual numbers that were given arms to fight with the South.

Honored Contributor

While I think that a lot of people don't know those things, I also keep in mind that those things are edited to make people look bad. How many people did they interview to show you the people who got the answers wrong?

I also know that it's normal to be flustered when someone puts a microphone in your face and tells you that you are going to be on TV. 

But yes, I do think there are a LOT of people out there who have forgotten much of the content of both histroy and civics classes.

Honored Contributor

History books in HS give just a thumbnail description of events in history. Think of them as a 'jumping off point' for those students and educators who if they want to read more on the topic consult or read books done by various authors about specific events or people like McCullough, Goodwin, Morris or Ambrose to name a few who have delved into detail about people who shaped our American History.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@tedEbear wrote:

Well, I have to say here,  SOME people that get a microphone shoved in their face are going to give , after hemming and hawing around, a stupid sounding answer so they have a MUCH BETTER chance to be on TV.

I disagree ....  I seriously doubt that the "stupid" people mentioned above would have had very much insight into the criteria used by the show's producers to determine what makes the cut.    IMO, they just weren't that smart.

You waaaaaaay underestimate the motivation of the American Public.

These are the same people who watch...and participate on

'The Bachelor' & 'The Bachelorette'.   America's Idiocracy.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Noel7 wrote:

@PamfromCT wrote:

Just to respond to one poster who implied graduates of some (if not all) graduates of some (if not all) "elite" colleges are coming out "dumb."  I may have been called many things in my lifetime, but dumb is not one of them.  My "dumb" daughter works in the medical research field.  Many of the people graduating from colleges have contributed so highly to our quality of life.  I would say that only a very few don't appreciate that.

@PamfromCT

Pam, this forum has many posters who hate higher education and those who have it. Almost always, it's something they never had themselves so they belittle it.

Yes, @Noel7, I have certainly seen that.  So quick to belittle or to cite facts that "many" graduates are finishing college so ignorant and unprepared.  Of course, at the risk of being called "elitist," I could question that if one is seeing many young people in their area so lacking in basic skills - why aren't these people demanding more of their local school systems?  We moved to our town primarily for the tested excellent school system.  And I am not familiar with any colleges in the New England area (land of many colleges) that are "diploma mills."  I respect all sets of education and skills; not everyone needs to go to college.  But I am very uncomfortable about the bashing of the value of a college education.  It is unsettling.  Has this always been the case, Noel?  Or something relatively new?

Respected Contributor

@willomenia wrote:
lighten up people, the poster is right! kids today can't add or subtract without calculators, spell without spell check and actually go to a library and do manual research. I feel sorry for them,

Maybe the kids you know.

Not all kids are like that. 

Honored Contributor

@PamfromCT wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

@PamfromCT wrote:

Just to respond to one poster who implied graduates of some (if not all) graduates of some (if not all) "elite" colleges are coming out "dumb."  I may have been called many things in my lifetime, but dumb is not one of them.  My "dumb" daughter works in the medical research field.  Many of the people graduating from colleges have contributed so highly to our quality of life.  I would say that only a very few don't appreciate that.

@PamfromCT

Pam, this forum has many posters who hate higher education and those who have it. Almost always, it's something they never had themselves so they belittle it.

Yes, @Noel7, I have certainly seen that.  So quick to belittle or to cite facts that "many" graduates are finishing college so ignorant and unprepared.  Of course, at the risk of being called "elitist," I could question that is one is seeing many young people in their area so lacking in basic skills - why aren't these people demanding more of their local school systems?  We moved to our town primarily for the tested excellent school system.  And I am not familiar with any colleges in the New England area (land of many colleges) that are "diploma mills."  I respect all sets of education and skills; not everyone needs to go to college.  But I am very uncomfortable about the bashing of the value of a college education.  It is unsettling.  Has this always been the case, Noel?  Or something relatively new?

I want to know how many of them have actually picked up a history book or any non fiction book for that matter themselves in the last year. 

IME either someone is a life long learner or they aren't. All the whining about schools misses the point IMO.  

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval