Honored Contributor

Re: Didn't anyone ever pay attention in history class

@JustJazzmom wrote:

Remember when Jay Leno used to do a skit called 'Jay Walking' on The Tonight Show? 

He had the same problem -- people of all ages didn't know the answers to basic history questions.

@JustJazzmom

I was thinking the same thing ....  what surprised me with the Jay Walking was not only how unbelievably  clueless these "adults" were, but how well Jay was able to control his facial expressions in the face of all this stupidity!

Respected Contributor

Education has really become "interesting". The current history books are not even a close semblance of the "history" I was taught in school.

Political correctness has changed how the Civil War is taught, if at all.

It's more troubling to me that we are changing the books and trying to "right" wrongs vs. just laying out what happened during that time.

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield
Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@JustJazzmom wrote:

Remember when Jay Leno used to do a skit called 'Jay Walking' on The Tonight Show? 

He had the same problem -- people of all ages didn't know the answers to basic history questions.

@JustJazzmom

I was thinking the same thing ....  what surprised me with the Jay Walking was not only how unbelievably  clueless these "adults" were, but how well Jay was able to control his facial expressions in the face of all this stupidity!

I can imagine what laughter must have erupted from the editing room!

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

@PamfromCT wrote:

Just to respond to one poster who implied graduates of some (if not all) graduates of some (if not all) "elite" colleges are coming out "dumb."  I may have been called many things in my lifetime, but dumb is not one of them.  My "dumb" daughter works in the medical research field.  Many of the people graduating from colleges have contributed so highly to our quality of life.  I would say that only a very few don't appreciate that.

To those who have been offended by the comments about the dumbing down of American education (which is pretty much what several posters have alluded to), including higher education, please understand that while there are always smart, dedicated and talented people in any walk of life or any field or academic institution, the truth is that many people today are not truly learning or mastering anything.

They are taking courses, passing exams and receiving degrees. They are working in their field and earning money, but they really aren't truly immersed in understanding of their field, and many have little to no real knowledge of things outside their field.

Much of higher education today is about making money for the institution, not turning out highly educated and skilled graduates. 

Your comments are gross exaggerations based on nothing substantial, not evidence, just your own personal assumptions.

We are turning out many brilliant and well educated people, try reading the science news with daily reports of new advances. 

But on the off chance you actually believe what you say, you'd better find a good faith healer since the MDs would be part of those you see as mastering nothing.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Jacie wrote:

Education has really become "interesting". The current history books are not even a close semblance of the "history" I was taught in school.

It's more troubling to me that we are changing the books and trying to "right" wrongs vs. just laying out what happened during that time.

Political Correctness is what kept us from truly learning as much about our country as we could.  Some people still have no clue that Blacks fought  (as Slaves).  I had a graduate degree professor tell me "he never saw that in a history book."  I agree with him because, no one really taught about that truth.

*Call Tyrone*
Honored Contributor

Education doesn't end just because someone has graduated. There is nothing stopping people from actually picking up some books. It's easy to blame schools but it's true that you only get out of it what you put into it. Just because you showed up every day, doesn't mean you'll retain what was said, especially not with the attitude that you don't care. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

@itiswhatitis wrote:

@Jacie wrote:

Political Correctness is what kept us from truly learning as much about our founding as we could.  Some people still have no clue that Blacks fought  (as Slaves).  I had a graduate degree professor tell me "he never saw that in a history book."  I agree with him because, no one really taught about that truth.

@itiswhatitis

You have a good point about certain things not being taught in history books, but I wouldn't call it political correctness.  Slaves were often forced to fight in place of a member of the family, but usually they weren't given guns when sent in as a Southern replacement.  They became the cooks and took care of equipment, jobs like that.

Some were able to escape and fought for the Union, others were free men and joined to fight for the Union.

We still have people who want to change that part of history and soften it up, there was a case recently in favor of calling slaves "unpaid workers".

Honored Contributor

@willomenia wrote:
lighten up people, the poster is right! kids today can't add or subtract without calculators, spell without spell check and actually go to a library and do manual research. I feel sorry for them,

If you actually read the OP, it wasn't about "todays kids" as people of all ages were interviewed. But it's obvious how you feel about them. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Esteemed Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

@itiswhatitis wrote:

@Jacie wrote:

Political Correctness is what kept us from truly learning as much about our founding as we could.  Some people still have no clue that Blacks fought  (as Slaves).  I had a graduate degree professor tell me "he never saw that in a history book."  I agree with him because, no one really taught about that truth.

@itiswhatitis

You have a good point about certain things not being taught in history books, but I wouldn't call it political correctness.  Slaves were often forced to fight in place of a member of the family, but usually they weren't given guns when sent in as a Southern replacement.  They became the cooks and took care of equipment, jobs like that.

Some were able to escape and fought for the Union, others were free men and joined to fight for the Union.

We still have people who want to change that part of history and soften it up, there was a case recently in favor of calling slaves "unpaid workers".

The fact is they fought.  Another student and I discussed this, as the student thought they weren't allowed to.  Then the professor follows up with "I never saw that in a history book."

*Call Tyrone*
Respected Contributor

@151949 ... I really enjoyed your post! I did pretty well on the quiz, but (like you)  I missed the question about King George III also.

A kind gesture can reach a wound that only compassion can heal. ~~ Steve Maraboli