Trusted Contributor

Re: Didn't anyone ever pay attention in history class

There was also something going around where people thought our country was 2,016 years old this year.....oh my.....

Take time every day to enjoy where you are without a need to fix it
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

The "facts" in the OP are incorrect.  

The Declaration of Independence was NOT signed on July 4th, 1776.

So much for paying attention in history class.  

Here is a good primer on the subject for those who would like more info:

http://www.history.com/news/9-things-you-may-not-know-about-the-declaration-of-independence

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Noel7

Hi Noel!  Glad to see you back!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Marianne1 wrote:

The "facts" in the OP are incorrect.  

The Declaration of Independence was NOT signed on July 4th, 1776.

So much for paying attention in history class.  

Here is a good primer on the subject for those who would like more info:

http://www.history.com/news/9-things-you-may-not-know-about-the-declaration-of-independence

I wish I could give your post a 1000 likes...

_____ ,,,^ ._. ^,,,_____
Respected Contributor

I did, American History.

I found World History to be pretty boring though.

-Texas Hill Country-
Respected Contributor

I'm a history major and I don't remember every year or date something happened, however I do know all about July 4th from high school. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

To answer your question-no.

Keep in mind that 'Civics" hasnt been taught for some years in public schools, although American History is a requirement in many states to graduate from middle school and high school.

There is a push to reinstate this very badly needed component of Social Studies b/c most adults are ignorant of the contributions of ALL Americans and even disenfranchised members of society that have made our country the 'salad bowl' it is today-and a great one at that!!!

My 8th graders memorize the Preamble, know the Bill of Rights (Amendments 1-10), and WHY we have them, referring back to the  indignities visited upon the Founding Fathers and Mothers by the British, up to post WW2.

No one leaves telling me that the President makes the laws (and if you believe that you need to review Baron de Montesque and the separation of powers). John Locke, Voltaire, as Enlightenment philosophers, influenced both Jefferson and James Madison.

Maybe it's not too late...

While my class was 1st period and most 14 year olds are still waking up I did my level best to ensure that they were as invested as possible into our learning processes.

Honored Contributor

I disliked World History classes, although I've always remembered what our teacher said:  History repeats itself, and that we could often recognize when we are headed in a not-so-good direction, (or something similar). (For whatever reason, I often think of the Roman Empire.)  So, world history does often 'come in handy'.  

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

Yes!  Memorizing all of those exact dates was a true exercise for our brains.  (Well that's what they told us, anyway.)  My gosh............(scratching my head right now, lol)

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Valued Contributor

In school you get as much out of a History class as you put into it. If you don't read the assignment and you don't listen in class you won't get much out of it.  All  kids have the same opportunity to learn in a class it's just that some kids take it more seriously than others so they learn more.. I think most people know what the 4th is celebrating even if they don't know the details.  I love history now more than I did in high school. I think we appreciate our country's history more as we get older. Learning does not end when you graduate from high school.  You will find out that history can be fascinating. Read David McCollough's books. You will be surprised how fascinating our country's history really is.