Honored Contributor

Did your life turn out different than you expected when you were in high school?

I expected to go to nursing school - graduate and have a career I could depend upon. That turned out to be exactly as expected.

I expected to get married someday and have kids and live in the suburbs. Instead I married a man with kids, lived all over the world with him for the first 10 years of my life, and then was widowed at age 30. I certainly never expected to have the experiences I had moving all around the world with Peter & our kids.

As I look back how I expected as a young woman to live my life turned out some exactly as expected and some much better and some worse. I always knew I could live an adventursome life because I had the safety net of a loving & supportive family, and a strong career I could fall back on.

Respected Contributor

Re: Did your life turn out different than you expected when you were in high school?

Totally different.  Thought I would teach Comparative Literature using my language degrees.  Sat down at the wrong recruiting table on the college campus and after being interviewed was offered a fast track management position with a communications corporation.

Met DH there and continued on through many departments and promotions making up to mid-management at the parent company.  

Retired early and started my own training consulting company and often partnered with a major corporation that handled folks who were pink slipped and started on a job / career search journey.  

Served as Board of Directors member for a retarded citizens organization serving clients from birth through retirement.  

Served as an Adjunct Professor on Group Leadership & Communications at my college.

Save for DH...no family support.  Looking forward to our 51st anniversary.

Never thought my career path would turn out in this manner....thank goodness I sat at the wrong table !!!

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Honored Contributor

Re: Did your life turn out different than you expected when you were in high school?

Yes, much better than I could have imagined.  Didn't think I would get married or do much traveling.  Met my future husband when I was 26 and haven't stopped seeing the world since.  Have been blessed with good health for both of us and financially secure.  I thank God every day for the life I have.

Respected Contributor

God laughs while man makes plans.

I have been incredibly blessed in my life and am grateful beyond measure.

Honored Contributor

Well....I was busy living life, avoiding pitfalls and just surviving.

I had a very difficult childhood and was determined to live a life different from what it probably would have been had I not fought to make it different.

I think what saved me was the knowledge that I/me/myself could do anything I wanted to do....it was up to me.

I will say that I never intended to get married (especially not as quickly as I did and not as young as I was).  But, as it goes, when love hits you....nothing you can do but enjoy it!

I've had a wonderful life (after I got married).  I'm not stupid enough to think I did it on my own.  I achieved an easy, wonderful life with the help of GOD and those around me.

No one either achieves their goals or pitfalls without the help or hindrance of others (depending on where you go).  It's all about choice and who you choose to surround yourself with, and to know when to ask for help from GOD and others.

If I must admit (which I will here).  I also have going for me a personality that adores people....all people.  I love their stories (good and bad) and have empathy for everyone.  It feels like they sense that because people (strangers) tell me secrets they'd never otherwise tell strangers.  By us sharing our stories, it has helped me WORK toward being a better person.

I say WORK at it because I believe we all need to continuously work at being better people.  Often women are their own worst enemies.  We criticize other women and don't always give them the support they deserve and need.  

But we are all getting better at it; and things are looking up for all females.  Yes, we women are a force to be reckoned with and the sky's the limit.

Respected Contributor

Went to Michigan State with full intent on being the first female sports journalist in Detroit (it was 1977 after all).  Left college by choice after two years, never went back.

Moved back in with parents and went back to McDonalds in my hometown where I had worked in high school.  Met my DH who is 4 yrs younger.  He went to school to be an avionics mechanic and got his dream job here at AA in Tulsa where we have lived for nearly 33 yrs now.

The only thing that did turn out as planned is that I do not have children as I knew I did not want any since about age 12

Fun thread!!!

I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend, til death, your right to say it
Honored Contributor

Yes, I knew from an earlier age than high school that I’d be an artist and a writer. I always enjoyed both. I majored and minored in both and have a degree in Art Ed. to fall back on if needed. 

I never taught. One of the lucky few, I was able to make enough money as an artist and fortunate that dh was the primary bread winner. I had the freedom to pursue my craft. Wanting to learn metalsmithing, led me back to school at Duke University & many workshops around the state for enamels, stone setting & various other jewelry techniques.

Several articles and poems have been published and then I was tapped, after another love and second course of learning, by Bobbi Brown to learn her line and become one of her artists....hate flying, but loved seeing NY every few weeks. That led to being a makeup artist at major dept. stores, various lines, doing photo shoots and weddings. 

It’s been such a blessing to be able to do what I love....never feels like work....more like summer camp. Retire? Me? Never. Funny, but I think women are seeking me out more now w/ my white hair for makeup advice. They figure I can relate to their age better than the twenty- somethings they see.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@jlkz wrote:

Totally different.  Thought I would teach Comparative Literature using my language degrees.  Sat down at the wrong recruiting table on the college campus and after being interviewed was offered a fast track management position with a communications corporation.

Met DH there and continued on through many departments and promotions making up to mid-management at the parent company.  

Retired early and started my own training consulting company and often partnered with a major corporation that handled folks who were pink slipped and started on a job / career search journey.  

Served as Board of Directors member for a retarded citizens organization serving clients from birth through retirement.  

Served as an Adjunct Professor on Group Leadership & Communications at my college.

Save for DH...no family support.  Looking forward to our 51st anniversary.

Never thought my career path would turn out in this manner....thank goodness I sat at the wrong table !!!

@jlkz  A quite interesting turn of events. Some things are just fate.

Honored Contributor

I am the type of person who lets life play out one day at a time with no real expectations.  My take on it is that if I have no expectations then I won't be disappointed in life.  Twelve years of Catholic school  where we were indoctrinated to just want to get married and have kids and that was our main purpose and we should aspire to be a good wife and mother when I never wanted that might be why I never had any plans or dreams.  I have always found it odd that others did/do but I think I am the odd one out on this.  It actually worked for me though as I lucked into a great paying job with good benefits and retirement package. 

Esteemed Contributor

Thought I'd graduate from college with my "MRS" degree, never leave DC area, work for government and live happily ever after.  Instead I immediately started travelling overseas while working there, getting married at 40, living in CA desert, having baby at 45.  Now 74, live in AZ mtns and travel plenty (50 states, 76 countries).