Honored Contributor

Re: Did you wear a POW bracelet?

Yes, I wore one.  My soldier did not make it home.  Very sad.

kindness is strength
Esteemed Contributor

@LonestarBabs wrote:

Yes I did.  It was a silver metal band engraved with the name of Sam Johnson -- he later became the Congressional representative for my district in Texas. I once wrote him a letter to let him know that I had worn his POW bracelet during his imprisonment in Vietnam, but I never heard back from him. That kind of soured me on him, as he makes such a big deal of his military service. I think he's retiring from Congress soon -- he's in his 80's now.

That bracelet obviously ment more to you than it did to him.

Valued Contributor

I just saw this thread this morning. I remember the braclets but never wore one. The ones who served in Vietnam were treated really bad when the came back.  And I can see where some would not have wanted to think about that time. My 1st husband spent 3 tours over there. Was wounded on his last tour, came home but died from them. It was a sad time. The traveling wall was in our area recently & my husband now, & I went to see it. We found the name of a friend who died in 1969. I was glad to see the respect shown for all military yesterday on the news & posts on social media. 

Valued Contributor

If, my memory serves me correctly, I wore mine for almost two years.

I kept a close eye on the newspaper when the names of the released were published.

Mine did come home. 

Unfortunately, with sadness, I can't remember his name. 

I think I still have the bracelet and I'm going to have to go through a memory box to find it.

Thank you for asking and bring back memories.

Respected Contributor

Yes, I did, mine was Capt Michael O'Connor.  I lived in Michigan and saw he was on the local news when he was able to return home.  I wrote him a letter, and he responded.  It was very heartwarming.  

Good Thread, OP

I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend, til death, your right to say it
Honored Contributor

Yes I did.....it was in a drawer in my teen bedroom in my parents home. They kept my room the same.  My mom passed away several years later and the house was burglarized while we were at the funeral mass. They emptied all the drawers in to pillow cases. All my mementos and pictures were gone. Horrible.

Trusted Contributor

@Shawnie  Yes, it was a traveling Vietnam Wall and it came to many cities across the country.  This was back in the early 2000's and we viewed it when it came to Thousand Oaks, Ca. not too far from where we live.  Honestly, I don't recall if they were listed as MIA or deceased.  I'd have to dig out the bracelets for the dates and names on them.  I think it was terrible how these brave men were treated upon their return.  Shame, shame, shame on our country.  They should have been honored.

Respected Contributor

Yes, I wore one for years for  CDR. David Greiling  7-24-68. Thank you to those who shared links about finding information on 'our guys.'  Because of your help, I finally learned his fate this morning.  He went missing, thought--but unconfirmed--to have been captured.  His remains were never found.  On the event date, he was the same age our son is now.  I cannot imagine.

This thread started me looking for the bracelet two days ago, and I just found it this morning. I knew I did not, would never, toss it out during our move, but could not find it anywhere. One last place dawned on me in the middle of the night last night; I looked this morning, and there it was!  <whew>  Now, when I put it away for safe keeping, it will be in the first place I looked on Monday.  

This bracelet means a lot to me, and, as always, rubbing my thumb over his name still brings tears to my eyes.  It turns my stomach to think they're being sold on EBay.  Thank you, @gidgetgh, for starting this thread.  

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.