Respected Contributor

Re: Did you stick around your hometown after H.S. graduation, or not?

I've been here all my life: no plans to leave!

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Nope. Didn't even set foot in the midwestern state until 20 years after HS graduation (came back for a reunion). Then last year took a job that required some travel to my home town, workng for a company run by home town people, and I hated it. I had PTSD flashbacks reminding me why I had hated living there in the first place, and affirming that I had grown in the right direction! Couldn't wait to get away from the myopic, narrow-minded, conformist environment -- nothing had changed since my childhood.

Esteemed Contributor

@qualitygal DH and I are both from the same county in SE PA. Even though we have lived in Germany and I have lived in Ireland, we are really attached to the land our ancestors have called home for 300 years. We have made our home for over 40 years on what used to be my grandparents farm and the land where I grew up. We are anticipating retiring to our daughter's neighbourhood in another state. Being near our daughter and grandchildren are the only things that could pull us away.

Honored Contributor

@germanshepherdlove wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

I was 17 When I graduated HS in 1973. ...  I got an job as a waitress and stayed in that town for about  a year.  It was a tiny little town. in Eastern Washington....When I left that town I never looked back.... did a lot of traveling for the next 5 years....   I lived in Portland for a while... and San Diego for awhile... I did not know anyone at either of these places... I just got on a train or on a grey hound bus and just WENT  someplace...I always could get a job... and a apartment.  It was easier in those days to survive with not too much money...... I was rather a lost soul. Looking for SOMETHING...  I did not know what.

I did find my Husband on one of my many travels   In Sun Valley Idaho...... at age 22 and  we married two years later...have been with him ever since.   We lived in Sun Valley for 10 years... and then moved to Seattle and have resided here ever since. 

Looking back from the early days.. I am just amazed at everything that happened in all those years...   

@SeaMaiden I applaud you.  You took charge of your life although it may have had bumps in the road along the way with a few hills and valleys. But in the end, your sticktoitness paid off and improved your life and you found happiness.  You are a survivor, a smart person and you should be very proud of yourself.  

@germanshepherdlove  What a nice thing to say! Thank you!

Trusted Contributor

@akaburtonfan 

Same here- except I'm a whopping 4.3 miles from my childhood home. The cemetery is about halfway between them. Gosh I hope I get outta this town before I end up there. Always wanted to leave but I'm afraid I missed my chance. 

Honored Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 wrote:

@SeaMaiden   Thank you.  He was a great guy and a wonderful Father.

I'm not sure where I want to go.  My DD lives here with me.  She moved home when her Dad got sick in 2015.  My son has a good job here, a home on 2 acres and he loves  where lives.

I'm not sure what DD would do, stay here or leave.

I'll be 70 and everything around here is miles away, grocery stores, CVS, Dr. etc.

I want to be close enough to be able to have my son and I visit for a day or so and for me to come see my friends.  I need the convenence of a larger town/city.

@CrazyKittyLvr2  yes, having things close by is nice especially the older we get.  In small towns access to what you want or need is  rarely convenient. Best to you in whatever decision you make going forward. 🙂

Esteemed Contributor

@SeaMaiden  Thanks.  It's a big decision.  My main consideration is moving away from the kids.  Ha, kids, they are 46 and 50, but kids to me.

I have been looking at different areas and houses online. I'm in no rush, I want to find the right fit.

Esteemed Contributor

@ECBG : Your husband was involved with mainframes in the 1950s? My Dad was an Electrical Engineer who worked on Univac 1, first mainframe computer purchased by U.S. Government, for Census Bureau.

Honored Contributor

@patbz DH was in computers  starting 1975.

Honored Contributor

@qualitygal wrote:

I got married, after about a year, then we were off.

@qualitygal 

I didn't graduate from high school, choosing to quit twice. After the second time I decided to join the US Army and get a GED.

Still live in the city(actually outside the city limits)in which I was born. The opposite of your "then were off" a year after, I waited 45 years before getting married.

Did however get invited in 2017 to my class60thh reunion, and I decided to go. Saw a lot of very old people there, talked with the ones I "hung with" and then "I was off"!

Kinda enjoyed it, but too many canes/wheelchairs and portable oxygen tanks, kinda dimmed it a bit for me. That and learning many of the others "I hung with" had died. 

Born in public housing projects and have no plans on moving from our present city and home.

hckynut

hckynut(john)