Honored Contributor

Re: Did you know your car might have a cabin air filter?

I have always known... I have a 20 year old van that I change the cabin filter about once every two years. I hardly drive the car thus why I do not change it every year. My husband has a 2016 Kia , and we change that about every two years as well.  We just buy the filters on Amazon and put them in ourselves... ridiculous to pay the dealer to buy it and replace it as they charge  a bunch of money to do it. The filters are cheap and easy to replace in the glovebox of the car.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

I order the filters and change mine and my husband's myself.

Trusted Contributor

@Jacie wrote:

Yes! I discovered it a number of years ago! Everytime I turned the blower on there was a rattle. When the filter was pulled it had a pile of sunflower seeds on it. Mice had been using it as a stash supply spot!

@Jacie    Glad I read your post.  I have taken my car to the dealer for oil changes and other maintenance .    Each time I mentioned the rattle when the blower comes on.  They never replaced the cabin filter.  I think they thought it was my imagination....👀

Now I will insist they check.  Thank you for the tip!   

Super Contributor

@depglass Found this out a few years ago when our mechanic asked if it had ever been changed. OMG there was so much fuzz and remnants of a mouse nest. I almost lost it I was so repulsed. Now I make them change it once a year whether I need it or not.

Honored Contributor

@Othereeeen, wow thank you for this info! I am sick of guys thinking they can get it over on poor dumb females! Guys you better beware!

We are not having it!

And @depglass, I have never in all my years owning a car heard of this so thanks for the info too! 

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

I recently changed this very easily myself.  

Honored Contributor

I didn't know my car had a cabin filter! I just looked up a youtube video about how to change it and NO THANKS! That's a major pita to access the filter. I'll be more than happy to pay someone to do the job. yikes.

Honored Contributor

one of my cars does..... and it can be difficult to get to, which is why it is not always checked. i had to have mine changed months ago because the inside of my car did not smell good. sure enough, once it was changed, it smelled fine!

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

I didn't know my car had a cabin filter! I just looked up a youtube video about how to change it and NO THANKS! That's a major pita to access the filter. I'll be more than happy to pay someone to do the job. yikes.

@SilleeMee 

YES, some are making it sound very easy to remove and replace, but that isnt the case with all cars. in some cars it is definitely NOT an easy job. i have no issues paying my mechanic to do the job.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein