Honored Contributor

Re: Did you know Rachael Ray has her own brand of cat food?

On 12/3/2014 kachina624 said: So this product is made in Asia. We don't have fish in the USA?

I know, right? How cost effective (and fresh) can it be if it's processed so far away and then shipped here.

I told DH tonight that I wanted to start our kitten on this since the ingredients are so good and also because RR donates to animal causes. That way our monetary donations can start going to children and veterans only, but by buying RRs products, we'd still be 'giving'.

I'll have to re-think this now. I wish RR would.

Esteemed Contributor

If the product is made with very fresh products, and put in a can, then it doesn't matter if it takes an hour or two weeks to get it to the U.S. And maybe it's much more cost effective to do it this way.

As much of an animal lover as Rachel Ray is, I don't think she would put her name on anything she didn't think was good for the animal that will eat it. It's not like it's just a big corporation with no particular person's name and image at stake. And the fact that all her proceeds go to animal charities means she's not in it to make more money for herself, like some companies who only look at the bottom line and their executives' pay scale.

Just my opinion.

Honored Contributor

My cat loves the dry chicken and rice Nutrish and it's reasonably priced.

Respected Contributor

On 12/3/2014 croemer said:

I too lost a cat due to food manufactured in China TG. I read labels very carefully now...you really have to read the labels carefully.

You're right about that. I did a lot of research before picking out cat food for the two Maine Coons I have now. I no longer trust the manufacturers to have my pets' best interest at heart.

"Summer afternoon-summer afternoon; to me those have always been the two most beautiful words in the English language." ~Henry James
Honored Contributor

On 12/3/2014 kittymomNC said:
On 12/3/2014 MJ 12 said:
On 12/3/2014 Topaz Gem said:

Where is Rachael's cat food manufactured? If it's China, than I'm not interested. I lost a beautiful Maine Coon cat to a pet food recall from a high-end brand that was manufactured in China. I will never trust anything from there again.

Oh that is horrible, I'm very sorry.

I found this on her website:

Rachael Ray Nutrish® is manufactured by Ainsworth Pet Nutrition®, a family-owned and operated company that has been making quality pet foods for five generations. In fact, the only things that we make are pet foods and treats, and all of our dry foods and treats are made right here in the USA. Every day, we work hard to ensure pet parents continue to trust the foods we provide. It's how we've done business for the past 80 years and how we intend to do business for the next 80 years and beyond. To learn more, visit www.ainsworthpets.com.

MJ12, thanks for posting this. I started to put it in when I posted the information about her animal charity work last night. But I had a question about the wet cat food. This says all of our dry foods and treats are made right here in the USA and I wanted to find out where the wet food is made. Just did that, and here it is:

Are any of the ingredients from China?

None of the ingredients in Nutrish wet food for cats are sourced from China. At Ainsworth Pet Nutrition, we demand high-quality ingredients from our suppliers and require thorough testing for product safety.

Why is Nutrish wet food for cats made in Thailand?

It is made in Thailand because we wanted the freshest source of seafood in our Nutrish wet recipes for cats. The majority of the seafood is sourced from Asia. This allows us to get fresh seafood into our manufacturing facilities and put right into our recipes. Our facility in Thailand is a state-of-the-art modern pet food manufacturing facility. We use human grade ingredients in a sterile environment, and our facility exceeds all FDA regulations for pet food safety.

Yikes - thank you so much for pointing that out. I didn't think about canned food when I saw it.

Esteemed Contributor

On 12/4/2014 MJ 12 said:
On 12/3/2014 kittymomNC said:
On 12/3/2014 MJ 12 said:
On 12/3/2014 Topaz Gem said:

Where is Rachael's cat food manufactured? If it's China, than I'm not interested. I lost a beautiful Maine Coon cat to a pet food recall from a high-end brand that was manufactured in China. I will never trust anything from there again.

Oh that is horrible, I'm very sorry.

I found this on her website:

Rachael Ray Nutrish® is manufactured by Ainsworth Pet Nutrition®, a family-owned and operated company that has been making quality pet foods for five generations. In fact, the only things that we make are pet foods and treats, and all of our dry foods and treats are made right here in the USA. Every day, we work hard to ensure pet parents continue to trust the foods we provide. It's how we've done business for the past 80 years and how we intend to do business for the next 80 years and beyond. To learn more, visit www.ainsworthpets.com.

MJ12, thanks for posting this. I started to put it in when I posted the information about her animal charity work last night. But I had a question about the wet cat food. This says all of our dry foods and treats are made right here in the USA and I wanted to find out where the wet food is made. Just did that, and here it is:

Are any of the ingredients from China?

None of the ingredients in Nutrish wet food for cats are sourced from China. At Ainsworth Pet Nutrition, we demand high-quality ingredients from our suppliers and require thorough testing for product safety.

Why is Nutrish wet food for cats made in Thailand?

It is made in Thailand because we wanted the freshest source of seafood in our Nutrish wet recipes for cats. The majority of the seafood is sourced from Asia. This allows us to get fresh seafood into our manufacturing facilities and put right into our recipes. Our facility in Thailand is a state-of-the-art modern pet food manufacturing facility. We use human grade ingredients in a sterile environment, and our facility exceeds all FDA regulations for pet food safety.

Yikes - thank you so much for pointing that out. I didn't think about canned food when I saw it.

I think a few people have a problem with this, but I don't. See my post #21. I truly think Rachael is such an animal lover, her main thought would be how to get really good food at a good price to people who need it, keeping in mind the welfare of the pets, first and foremost.

It's just my opinion - not everything made overseas is bad, but people do need to be aware. There was all that hype about Blue Buffalo, and I found out that some of what they say isn't true and Purina has sued them for saying it.

For some reason, I just trust Rachael.

Honored Contributor

I guess I've gotten cynical but I don't trust anybody any more. Of course it's made in Thailand because that's the cheapest place to make it. Once canned, keeping it "fresh" is a moot point.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

All I can say about Thailand is, the saddest zoo I've ever visited in my life was in Bangkok.

Honored Contributor

On 12/4/2014 Lucky Charm said:

All I can say about Thailand is, the saddest zoo I've ever visited in my life was in Bangkok.

Maybe RR needs to redirect her efforts to the local zoo.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

I often moisten with slightly warm water RR's Nutrish Dry Chicken and Brown Rice cat food. Also (Dry) Fancy Feast Ocean Fish and Salmon. My cat likes the dry (moistened with water or just plain dry) better than wet, (most of the time).

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).