Respected Contributor

Re: Did you have more fun in elementay, jr. high, or high school?

I had the most fun in junior high (7th and 8th grades). Elementary school itself had no extra-curricular activities, although we had loads of kids in our neighborhood and made our own fun. I was an excellent student though and always enjoyed the learning part.

In junior high, there were lots of extra-curricular activities to get involved in, and I loved that. Most of them were during the day (lunch break). I also loved the diversity of classes to choose from compared to the same old/same old curriculum in elementary school. I became involved in band, drama club, forensics, pep squad, and gymnastics. The only things held in the evening or after school were the boy's ball games and dances twice a year.

I was always the youngest one in the class as instead of going to kindergarten, my mother pushed me into first grade when I was just turning five. So...when I got to high school, my mother always gave me the excuse that I was "too young" to do this or that. She did let me be involved in gymnastics after school. I also played in the band, but she really held the reigns tightly, so I didn't get to be involved in much. I still hold anger toward my mother for that, as I was an excellent student. She let me work on Saturdays part-time at a department store, and I did a little modeling for them. The high school experience itself was rather boring though as I did not get to take part in the dances and other activities that were held at night.

A kind gesture can reach a wound that only compassion can heal. ~~ Steve Maraboli
Honored Contributor

As I have said before - when we were in high school about all our folks saw of any of us was the back of our heads as we headed out the door. We had school and church activities plus we had jobs. My Mom kept a notebook on the kitchen counter where we were required to write down where we were going & who we were with and how we were getting there & getting back home. If our Mom called to check that we were where we said - and she often did - if we were not there - OMG - hell to pay!

Esteemed Contributor

@qualitygal

Not only an interesting question, but made me think on a number of levels.

I went to school in the "Sputnik Age" and also in a district in San Francisco that was a "feeder" into Lowell, a public college prep high school. 

Loved 6th grade, but frankly thrived in junior high, with the exception of one teacher.  Loved all of the new subject matter and intellectual stretching, plus many new opportunities in music.  Then as an 8th grader, I made cheerleader.  Did make it into Lowell, which was 3 years of torture, where I honestly didn't learn a fig and was #MeToo by my "a capella" director. 

Yes, definitely junior high.