Honored Contributor

Re: Did you grow up watching bandstand?

I sure did ,just loved to watch ,see new dancing , what the girls fashion was ,the groups that were on ,just loved it.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

@LindaSal wrote:

How fun were those days????  I used to love the go go dancers and asked for a pair of go go boots for Christmas!!!   I got them and wore them until they had holes in them!!  LOL   Thought I was really cool at age 12!!!!    Fond memories.

@LindaSal

Very fun!  I wanted to be a go-go dancer!  I thought they were so cool and glamorous!

As for the boots, I begged for them but never got them!   A classmate had them and I was soooooo jealous!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Respected Contributor

My nick is Philalady.  Did I grow up watching Bandstand ?  You betcha !

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

Junior high thru about 10th grade bandstand was on when we got home from school, and we would rush to someones house to put it on. Usually my friend Chris's house because they had a family room in the basement with a TV and she was an only child so no annoying brothers to pester us. However, as we got into high school my brothers would be hanging around our house with their friends so that made my girlfriends want to come to our house.Always bandstand on in the background - though we hardly ever actually listened to it or danced but just hung out goofing off. By the time we all turned 16 we got after school jobs & school activities so that ended after school bandstand watching.We used to have such a good time!

@151949

Banstand was the best!  I used to try and do all the dances!  Loved the talent!  Awesome.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Valued Contributor

I used to particularly like when the Bandstand kids did the "stroll".  Remember that one?  

Honored Contributor

I was very young and didn't watch but my SIL and her best friend were Bandstand dancers.

They are still very good dancers and have that American Bandstand dance way about them when they dance. 

They have videos of the shows they were on that are so much fun to watch.

Honored Contributor

I got hooked on in the early 70's when in grade school.  But it was only on at that time on Saturday mornings.  Never missed a week after the cartoons were over.  Then slept in and missed the cartoons but got up to watch my favorite dance show.

Osmonds with ****** Clark on American Bandstand - 1970 | Donny

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Respected Contributor

Oh yes!  I grew up in Burbank, CA and my brother's high school was invited to come on.  What an honor.  Great memories.

Honored Contributor

No comparison between Bandstand and the "dancing" on the several competition shows on tv now. I think there are at least 3 at any one time. 💃

Honored Contributor

I preferred Soul Train but yeah I watched some American Bandstand.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise