Honored Contributor

Did you grow up watching bandstand?

Junior high thru about 10th grade bandstand was on when we got home from school, and we would rush to someones house to put it on. Usually my friend Chris's house because they had a family room in the basement with a TV and she was an only child so no annoying brothers to pester us. However, as we got into high school my brothers would be hanging around our house with their friends so that made my girlfriends want to come to our house.Always bandstand on in the background - though we hardly ever actually listened to it or danced but just hung out goofing off. By the time we all turned 16 we got after school jobs & school activities so that ended after school bandstand watching.We used to have such a good time!

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Did you grow up watching bandstand?

Bandstand was my life in junior high (LOL). I would come home from school and turn on the TV ASAP. If I had homework, I'd park myself in front of the television and multitask, watching Bandstand and doing my work. My mother couldn't understand how I could do both and remain a good student. My best friend was also a Bandstand fanatic. We convinced her mother to take us to Philadelphia so that we could meet our favorite "regulars." We met them at the luncheonette near the studio and we actually got into the studio to watch the program. We were in heaven!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I grew up in Pa and I'm so old that I watched it before ****** Clark ever came on the scene, it was pretty much a local show, though I lived a couple of hours outside of Philly and hosted by two guys, Bob Horn & ****** Lee. Actually I'm a little foggy as to whether they hosted as a duo or one hosted for a period of time followed by the other one. Made the trip one time to be on the show but the line was so long we didn't get in.

Seeing my post and the ****** realize I forgot that man's first name wasn't allowed but it's the commonly short version of Richard.

Honored Contributor

When I was in nursing school Bandstand was on at 4PM and we'd get off duty at 3:30 so we'd run to the dorm, and hurry to shower & change into our comfy clothes so we could go to the lounge and do our homework with bandstand on in the background. 

Esteemed Contributor

How fun were those days????  I used to love the go go dancers and asked for a pair of go go boots for Christmas!!!   I got them and wore them until they had holes in them!!  LOL   Thought I was really cool at age 12!!!!    Fond memories.

Honored Contributor

I had two older siblings so it was always on,

Image result for american bandstand images

Honored Contributor

Absolutely!  I guess I was in 7th or 8th grade.  I learned to dance watching those shows--the mashed potatoes, the twist, the watusi and the line dances.  What fun that was!!!

Honored Contributor

I grew up watching American Bandstand and Soul Train.  Chores and errands were planned around those two shows.  To this day, someone at nearly every family gathering gets us up to dance down the Soul Train music line.

Honored Contributor

I also had my favorite couples that I'd watch for on the dance floor!!! 

Esteemed Contributor

@meallen616  That is a great picture!!!