Respected Contributor

Re: Did you grow up watching bandstand?

Yes!!!  I give this post a "98"  Remember?

Respected Contributor

@viva923 wrote:

some of the dancers actually made an album

remember the song Hey Paul-Paula something to that effect. it was actual dancers. they were going steady and always made it to the dance floor, spot light on them. well i guess, some record producer got the 2 of them to record a song-album. it was the guy would sing, hey paula, blahblahblah and so for,then the girl would sing hey paul, blahblahblah and so forth. i can hear the song going thru my head now and i can see that couple still dancing.

I do not think this is true.

From Wiki

"Hey Paula" is an American pop standard love song recorded by the singing duo Paul & Paula. It hit number one on the Billboard Hot 100 on the week ending February 9, 1963, and also made it to number one on the Hot R&B Singles chart.[1] "Paul" was the song's writer, Ray Hildebrand,[2] a student at TexasHoward Payne University, a Baptist institution in the city of Brownwood. "Paula" was Jill Jackson, the niece of the owner of the boarding house where Ray lived.

Hildebrand wrote the song, originally titled "Paul and Paula", taking inspiration from the Annette Funicello hit "Tall Paul".[3] Hildebrand and Jackson performed the song on a local radio station[4] and the song soon became popular enough for the duo to try to make a professional recording. They went to a studio in Fort Worth, Texas, and were fortunate enough to find a producer, Major Bill Smith, with studio time and musicians booked and a missing lead vocalist. He recorded their version of the song and released it on his LeCam Records label, changing the name to "Hey Paula", credited to Jill and Ray. When the record became a success, it was picked up by the larger Philips Records, which changed the billing to Paul and Paula.[3] Musicians on the recording included Marvin Montgomery on guitar, Guy Parnell on bass, Hargus Robbins on organ, Little Caesar on piano, and Ronnie Dawson on drums.

Honored Contributor

@muttmom

@viva923

Interesting because a google search says that Paul and Paula sing *Hey Paula* on American Bandstand on JAN. 18, 1963.

So Viva must remember that correctly.

@muttmom wrote:

@viva923 wrote:

remember the song Hey Paul-Paula something to that effect. it was actual dancers. they were going steady and always made it to the dance floor, spot light on them. well i guess, some record producer got the 2 of them to record a song-album. it was the guy would sing, hey paula, blahblahblah and so for,then the girl would sing hey paul, blahblahblah and so forth. i can hear the song going thru my head now and i can see that couple still dancing.

From Wiki

"Hey Paula" is an American pop standard love song recorded by the singing duo Paul & Paula. It hit number one on the Billboard Hot 100 on the week ending February 9, 1963, and also made it to number one on the Hot R&B Singles chart.[1] "Paul" was the song's writer, Ray Hildebrand,[2] a student at TexasHoward Payne University, a Baptist institution in the city of Brownwood. "Paula" was Jill Jackson, the niece of the owner of the boarding house where Ray lived.

Hildebrand wrote the song, originally titled "Paul and Paula", taking inspiration from the Annette Funicello hit "Tall Paul".[3] Hildebrand and Jackson performed the song on a local radio station[4] and the song soon became popular enough for the duo to try to make a professional recording. They went to a studio in Fort Worth, Texas, and were fortunate enough to find a producer, Major Bill Smith, with studio time and musicians booked and a missing lead vocalist. He recorded their version of the song and released it on his LeCam Records label, changing the name to "Hey Paula", credited to Jill and Ray. When the record became a success, it was picked up by the larger Philips Records, which changed the billing to Paul and Paula.[3] Musicians on the recording included Marvin Montgomery on guitar, Guy Parnell on bass, Hargus Robbins on organ, Little Caesar on piano, and Ronnie Dawson on drums.

Esteemed Contributor

I grew up watching Bandstand on Saturdays. I do not remember it being on after school. (I remember Dark Shadows after school) Anyway I loved Bandstand too. The music, the dancing, everything. 

I also used to watch the Steel Pier show from Atlantic City (and I went there many times for concerts). I loved Eddie Nixon dancing. (Years back I heard he passed away). Just thought Id add this if anyone else remembers Steel Pier too. 

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Lucky Charm wrote:

@muttmom

@viva923

Interesting because a google search says that Paul and Paula sing *Hey Paula* on American Bandstand on JAN. 18, 1963.

So Viva must remember that correctly.

@muttmom wrote:

@viva923 wrote:

From Wiki

I'm confused by these responses. @Lucky Charm & @viva923, are you saying the duo that sang Hey Paula, were AB dancers?  The song was definitely performed on AB but Paul and Paula were not part of AB.  I remember loving that song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7vcRyBAQZA

Here are Paul & Paula talking about the song in 2012.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLxo4G3iVMk