Honored Contributor

Re: Did you grow up watching bandstand?

@momtochloe Hey, I'm a little white woman with a lot of soul!  You dig? Hahaha!

Where have you gone, Joe DiMaggio? A nation turns its lonely eyes to you.... ~ S & G
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@MickD wrote:

@momtochloe Hey, I'm a little white woman with a lot of soul!  You dig? Hahaha!

Oh I dig @MickD from a big old white woman that wished she could dance on Soul Train! . . . . Heart

Honored Contributor

@momtochloe Haha!  Own it, sistah!  Get your freak on.....I do!  My son just shakes his head!!

Where have you gone, Joe DiMaggio? A nation turns its lonely eyes to you.... ~ S & G
Honored Contributor

@MickD wrote:

@momtochloe Haha!  Own it, sistah!  Get your freak on.....I do!  My son just shakes his head!!

***snort*** oh my friend @MickD my lack of dancing skills have spanned the ages.  Even as a small and very lightweight child you could always hear me coming as I am just very heavy on my feet.  At a Christmas party a friend was trying to teach me how to do the Mashed Potato (yes this was decades ago) and it just wasn't happening (we even tried it at work in case a little bit too much Christmas cheer was involved but sadly no, a dancer I am not). dance girl 2 smiley

Honored Contributor

@momtochloe in our own minds we are great dancers.....yes we are!.....until the public sees us...

Honored Contributor

The spin-off from American Bandstand was Where the Action Is although that didn't last very long.

We watched Soul Train and American Bandstand, too.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Trusted Contributor

Growing up in suburban Philadelphia in the 1950s and 60s, my friends and I could not wait to be old enough to go to AB.  Unfortunately it moved to California and was never the same.

I loved their Pony dance contest.  I still remember my favorite couple, Mike & Frani.

Trusted Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

Carmen! I just remembered that name. Anyone else remember Carmen?

And googling shows a whole lot more.

Carmen and her sister Yvette had their "bleached" birthmarks in front side of their hair.

Valued Contributor

i grew up watching bandstand   those were the days  not like today  

Honored Contributor

some of the dancers actually made an album

remember the song Hey Paul-Paula something to that effect. it was actual dancers. they were going steady and always made it to the dance floor, spot light on them. well i guess, some record producer got the 2 of them to record a song-album. it was the guy would sing, hey paula, blahblahblah and so for,then the girl would sing hey paul, blahblahblah and so forth. i can hear the song going thru my head now and i can see that couple still dancing.