Respected Contributor

Re: Did you grow up watching bandstand?

[ Edited ]

My mother hated it that I watched Bandstand when I was in 8th grade, but then I told her it was really interesting, and she was kind enough to give it a chance.  We ended up _both_ watching it when I came home from middle-school (oh, my, what a zoo.  I needed a break from that).  I had a favorite pompadoured (high slicked) boy on the show, and she picked a different guy that would be perfect for me (crewcut).  If only I knew, that foretold part of my future small conflicts with her!

She was a sweetheart, though, always willing to sit down and see what we were into. 

Trusted Contributor

@Duffsmom: I was just thinking of Justine & Bob and Kenny and Arlene. My sister and I would come home and watch and join in on the dancing. That's how we learned.

One day our sweet neighbor asked if we could watch her daughter Cindy after school for a while. We did and of course turned on American Banstand and had Cindy dance with us. She was about 7 or 8. She had so much fun. She loved it.

Well, her mom came over later to tell our mom that their religion prohibited dancing.

Always curious how that affected that little girl especially since she enjoyed herself so much.

Esteemed Contributor

I sure did, what fond memories.  Those were the days my friend, those were the days.  Smiley Very Happy

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Honored Contributor

I loved that show as a kid, my friend Gabriella and I watched it everyday in the summer. By the time I got to highschool it was more hippy stuff and anti everything so I stopped watching.

Esteemed Contributor

Loved Bandstand!!!!!  I remember when it first aired.  Then it became American Bandstand.

Loved that the girls wore cardigans, sometimes buttoned backwards, over their uniforms!!!  My favorite dancer was Pat Moliterri!!  She could do any dance!

Anyone remember Rate a Record??  "I'll give it a 95.  I like the beat."

Loved that Mr Clark's first wife actually came up with the name "Chubby Checker" for Ernest Evans.  She said it was a play on words for Fats Domino.

And, the dances!!!!  Bristol Stomp, Twist, Pony, Fly, Stroll, Calypso, and the line dances!!!

I loved the Philly version of AB.

Respected Contributor

American Bandstand and Soul Train - loved them!  That would be a good book - the lives of the American Bandstand dancers - not sure, but I think Franny is now deceased.  Be interesting to know how their lives went after Bandstand and include a history of the time of Bandstand.  That was the best time to be a teenager.  We had so much fun and times were safer and less complicated.  I sure enjoyed dancing the night away!

A poster mentioned Disco - I was thirties then and enjoyed Disco a lot too.  Dancing - too much fun!

Valued Contributor

I remember running home literally and could not wait until it came on. My mother had passed away that was my refuge. I was young and got lost in their happiness. Such good memories.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@beckyb1012 wrote:

I got hooked on in the early 70's when in grade school.  But it was only on at that time on Saturday mornings.  Never missed a week after the cartoons were over.  Then slept in and missed the cartoons but got up to watch my favorite dance show.

Osmonds with ****** Clark on American Bandstand - 1970 | Donny

The Osmond's! . . . get out! . . . thanks for the huge smile @beckyb1012!

Honored Contributor

@momtochloe Yes on Saturday am's!  I also loved Soul Train......then when I was older.....Showtime at the Apollo!  Kids are missing out on so much now.....I miss dancing in the living room with my buds!

Where have you gone, Joe DiMaggio? A nation turns its lonely eyes to you.... ~ S & G
Honored Contributor

@MickD wrote:

@momtochloe Yes on Saturday am's!  I also loved Soul Train......then when I was older.....Showtime at the Apollo!  Kids are missing out on so much now.....I miss dancing in the living room with my buds!

Tee hee @MickD I loved the Soooooouuuuuuulllllllll Train!  I watched it even when I was way out of their target demographic but I didn't care, loved the music and the dancing.  Peace . . . . Love . . . . and SOUL!  Heart