Esteemed Contributor

Re: Did you grow up watching bandstand?

No, I guess I was too young to appreciate it.  My older siblings would turn it on and I couldn't understand why they'd want to watch a bunch of people dancing!  Often the songs in the background were ones I'd never heard of, so I'd just go outside or find something else to do during that time on Saturdays.

Honored Contributor

Bandstand , I watched it everytime I could. It was on during weekdays I believe about 4pm, just home from school. Then I think it moved to weekend.

It would watch the couples dancing (they were couples- and spot light them).

Frequent Contributor

Growing up in Philiadelphia I first watched Bandstand - a local dance show hosted by Bob Horn.  He was replaced after some scandal by ****** Clark and the rest as they say is history!  When the show went national the name was changed to American Bandstand.  I even tried to get on the show several times with my friends.  We traveled by bus and elevated train to get to the studio and then waited in a long line but never made it on the show.  That show certainly developed my Philly dancing style - and I can still do those dances today - even in my 70's!!!  Great memories of a great show!

Super Contributor

@Kardi wrote:

I used to particularly like when the Bandstand kids did the "stroll".  Remember that one?  

I loved the stroll... I started watching Bandstand when I was in the 6th grade..  I always loved music & dance... It was on at 4 p.m... Loved how the kids dressed, had their hair done & overall appearance..

As time went on, I enjoed the disco music & going to the dances in the seventies.... Myself & many of my peers; we feel that we grew up in the best of times... It was a simplier place in time....

Honored Contributor

What a blast from the past. I was in elementary school. We'd go to someone's house and watch and dance. I remember that we knew the names of some of the dancers. I can still picture the dancing. I don't know whether it had a name, but I can still do it today.

Of course, I'd probably have to take an advil and ice my body up afterward. :-)

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

I think the stroll was before my time.

Trusted Contributor

Yes I did!!  Bandstand was the best!!  I wish someone would look up some of those kids and couples and have them come dance for us again on some show to that music!!  That is if they still could!!Woman Wink

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@classic wrote:

@Kardi wrote:

I used to particularly like when the Bandstand kids did the "stroll".  Remember that one?  

I loved the stroll... I started watching Bandstand when I was in the 6th grade..  I always loved music & dance... It was on at 4 p.m... Loved how the kids dressed, had their hair done & overall appearance..

As time went on, I enjoed the disco music & going to the dances in the seventies.... Myself & many of my peers; we feel that we grew up in the best of times... It was a simplier place in time....

My mom loved the Stroll!

She showed me how.

It was so much fun!Smiley Very HappyHeart

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Carmen! I just remembered that name. Anyone else remember Carmen?

And googling shows a whole lot more.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Occasional Contributor

How about Justine and Bob!  Lots of names I'll remember later  LOL

I grew up in Philly and went to a Catholic High School and we were

warned not to show our emblem (on uniform) on that show.  I saw lots

of girls with sweaters on covering the emblem.

.....Clark came to our High School for a sock hop.  Great memories,

and great times to grow up!

(New here and so far can't figure out how to post so I'm doing a reply.)