Honored Contributor

Did you ever search for old high school friends, or ones you grew up with?

That makes me a little leary.  Don't know that I'd try it.  Have you ever tried to find an old friend?

Honored Contributor

Re: Did you ever search for old high school friends, or ones you grew up with?

[ Edited ]

Yes years ago when I first got on FB, I found a lot of HS friends, and some found me.  The thing to do is put your full name and maiden name hyphen your married name (if it applies) ie Zella Ella Smith-Jones.

I also found some non school friends I had in later years.

I also found some cousins I had lost track of.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Trusted Contributor

Yes, I've found a ton of childhood, high school and college friends via facebook and other social media.  I've been found as well.  Not sure why you'd be leery, if you don't want to connect, you don't have to.  

Honored Contributor

@qualitygal wrote:

That makes me a little leary.  Don't know that I'd try it.  Have you ever tried to find an old friend?

@qualitygal 

Depends on what social media you use, and how far you're willing to go.

We have additional hurdles because many women change their nameswhen they marry or re-marry, so it isn't always easy to trace them unless you know who they married.

I once had a crush on someone years ago and always wondered what happened to him or where he was living now.  Initially, no success, but thought about it and tried a few other things.  Finally learned he dropped dead of a heart attack in 1995.   I hadn't considered that option, and it really took me by surprise.  

Not everyone lives to an old age.  You just never know.  

Honored Contributor

I still see my grammar school friends and have high school friends in my life also.  We have had high school reunions and I just love seeing many of my classmates and catch up.  I do have contact with some and wouldn't hesitate to contact friends from school.  The grammar school friends and I have known each other for 66 years and we see each other for lunch and keep in touch.  I am a friend person and the more friends in my life, the better it is!!!!!

Super Contributor

Yes, I used zabasearch to find an old college friend last Aug.  She wrote back profusely interested giving me her email and promising to write.  I never heard from her again even though I emailed her.  I didn't know what to make of it.  I tried to make excuses for her like she was minding her two year old granddaughter but it didn't help.  I guess she didn't want to be found.

I also looked up an old boyfriend using the same site and discovered he lived in Washington State and was a college professor.  I emailed him at his college asking if he was who I thought he was (I recognized his eyes) even though he was old.  He never responded and then moved out of Washington state and went to live in Iowa.

The morale of this is let sleeping dogs lie IMO.  

Honored Contributor

@qualitygal wrote:

Yes I've done it on Facebook years ago and just recently.  I rarely go on FB but did so the last week. 

Back when I was in high school I shared a locker with another girl whose last name was close to mine.  It was a large school and they were in the process of building a second school so we all shared lockers (they were huge...large enough for two coats and sets of books).

I wasn't really friends with her but we got along.  Anyway she just requested being a FB friend and I was really shocked by her appearance....she looked nothing like the person that I remembered yet her daughters look a lot like her when she was young. 

It's funny how some people look exactly the same but only older and others drastically different!

Another story....back in the 1980s DH and I bought a fixer upper.  The guy who lived next door to us (he still lived with his parents and was about ten years younger than us) helped my husband with a lot of the renovation projects. (DH paid him). 

Anyway about ten years ago he called out of the blue and I chatted with him for a while.  He said that he was married and we should all get together.  I don't know why I never got his phone number at the time but he told me to find him on FB.  I tried to find him but I couldn't.  Anyway while on FB recently I decided to look him up.  I found him but wasn't really sure if it was him since he also looked a lot different but I did see where he had mentioned the town that we lived in so I got in contact with him.

He was happy to hear from me and when I get a chance I plan on showing DH his FB page (DH isn't on FB).

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've googled everyone I graduated with and found pictures and info on 75% of them, as they are really into social media and have lots of info out there on the internet.   Thru Zillow I've even been able to see some of their houses.  

I have no interest in contacting them, but for the most part I know who is alive and where they are.  Almost half of my former classmates have died.   

Esteemed Contributor

Though I do enjoy bumping into an old friend now and then I don't go looking for it.

People move on and you move into different circles, that is life....  I do have a best friend that I went to high school with that I still hang around with.  Both our husbands' have also become close friends over the years.  It's a great thing but my DH and I are not on FB nor are we social media people.   My friend is on FB and keeps me informed of who is doing what, but I ask her at times, why do you care??    I actually prefer being "below the radar".

Trusted Contributor

My friends from high school, I stayed in touch with.  The rest of them I do not care about as they were all a bunch of snobs!