Trusted Contributor

Re: Did you ever run into a famous person?

I grew up and worked in a town with 2 colleges.  Celebrities are frequently seen when they are visiting our colleges.  If their children go to college here they come and go for 4 years.  Whoopi Goldberg, Rod Serling and Carl Sagan had homes here so we frequently ran into them at Wegmans, restaurants, etc.  They were all very friendly and down to earth.  

My husband had his own business and did work for the Serling family at their summer home numerous times.  He said the whole family was very pleasant to work with.  I saw him on campus a few times.

My first celebrity I recognized was Clint Walker when my mother and I were buying me shoes for school (back in the day when our city actually had family owned shoe stores with service).   He was so tall and handsome and pleasant.   Better than on TV.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Emeril Lagasse 

Gwen Stefani

Cherie Johnson from  "Punky Brewster"

Claude Atkins

Respected Contributor

I once rode in an elevator with Maureen Stapleton. She looked exhausted so I left her alone 😎.

Trusted Contributor

Enjoy reading your stories!

My best friend Janie and I were in Miami for our 20th birthdays.  We were at the Fountainbleau at the time, get into the elevator and there's Chad Everett!  It was about 1974.

When I worked at General Foods, Bill Cosby visited when he was the Jell-O spokesman, Billie Jean King had lunch with our then President in our cafeteria, John Denver sang for us and Raquel Welch was there for something or other.  Didn't matter to the men, they were like little boys!

I worked at Saks Fifth Avenue in Greenwich for about 2 years.  Lots of celebs shopped there - helped Kathie Lee Gifford with a Christmas gift, Glenn Close used to shop with absolutely no makeup.  Billie Baldwin  & Chynna Philips - she is gorgeous.  Regis & Joy were there all the time.  Oprah's pal, Gayle, also shopped all the time. We were on first name basis with her!  I helped David Cone on Christmas Eve with gifts for his wife.  I stammered like a 4 year old!  I also got to help JFK Jr's wife and MIL in our Westchester store.  It was the summer before the plane crash.  The poor girl had to use the ladies' room.  When she came out, all the sales people were standing there, staring!  Someone could have come in and robbed the rest of the store, we'd have no idea!

Two years ago, some friends and I were at a local restaurant for lunch during Restaurant Week.  I was watching this man walk around the restaurant and I said to my friends "That guy looks a lot like Michael Douglas".  It was him!  He was having lunch with Catherine Zeta-Jones and their kids!  

I also was lucky to go to the 2005 Emmys.  My friend Cathy worked for ABC and she invited me as her guest.  Ellen DeGeneres hosted that year.  What a night!

Esteemed Contributor

Bob Crane (Hogan's Heroes) at Knott's Berry Farm, literally bumped into him.

David Doyle (Charlie's Angels) and Bill Daily (I Dream of Jeannie) through their daughters.

William Dafoe at LAX.

Steve Young (FB player) on an airplane

Matt Barnes (BB player), who could not have been nicer. 

Esteemed Contributor

@roeroe1005, Chad Everett in '74, completely swoon worthy I imagine!!!!

And how fun to go to the Emmy's!  And what a good year to have been able to go.

Respected Contributor

We flew on a small water plane (seated about 9) from Seattle to Vancouver Is. Tom Skeritt (Top Gun) was waiting in the very small area. When we stepped up to give our names, he said his name was S. Kerrit. We all knew who he was but it was apparent that he did not want attention so we obliged and ignored him!

Tony Dorsett pretended to be asleep in Love Field and then on the plane. He would ignore little kids that wanted autographs but his team mates would nudge him to sign for kids. 

Esteemed Contributor

I went to grade school with Lorenzo Music who was the doorman on the Mary Tyler Moore show. He was Jerry then.

This was in the 50's. I can't remember other names but the hotel was a block away from my brothers store were I worked and there was an armory that stars played also. This was in Minnesota.

Esteemed Contributor

Yes, my father was in promotions and we had house guests or we were house guests.  These were famous people who as a child I saw as  "JUST PEOPLE."

Honored Contributor

For the PNW posters, I forgot that my sons and I saw three local Seattle celebrities years ago:  John Keister, Pat Cashman and Bill Nye (the science guy) from Almost Live.