Respected Contributor

Re: Did you ever run into a famous person?

@Junker2327:  Any hints?

Respected Contributor

Okay, I have a few more!  I worked in a large corporation in NYC in the 80s.  We were nominated for a Corporate Conscience Award... the first (and possibly only?) time they were given out.  Nobody had heard about them, and there apparently wasn't a lot of interest from the executives in the company.  The SVP of Human Resources asked her secretary if there was anyone who she could find to go to the ceremony., and the secretary sent it to me.  The ceremony was on a Friday night, and there was a reception for the nominees before it started.  All the presenters were big name stars.  I don't remember all of them, but the ones who come to mind are Jane Curtin, Dr. Ruth, Judy Collins, Gloria Steinem, and Harry Belafonte.  When I saw Belafonte's name, I jumped on the opportunity!  Always LOVED him!!!!  

As I was mingling at the reception, one of the sponsors introduced me to Judy Collins.  I told her I was pleased to meet her, but my mind was screaming "I have to meet Harry!  I have to meet Harry!"  I did get to say hello.  Got a picture with Curtin and Dr. Ruth, too, but it got lost when I moved many years back.  

We won the award, and it was presented by Steinem.  It was actually aired on a business show that weekend, and I have it on VHS tape.  That should have been the highlight of the evening, but nothing topped shaking hands with Belafonte!

Respected Contributor

Martha is a great person in my book!!!

Esteemed Contributor

Cherry, is that really you? I tried to page you quite a while ago and was told you had left the board. I wanted you to know that we lost our friend ToniPenn in July after a desperately fought battle with ovarian cancer.

On your topic, I ran into the late Ricky Nelson at LAX and he ended up flying on my plane. But alas, he was in first class. I wasn't.  The flight attendants were all a twitter. He waited to board in my area just a few feet from me.  He was so handsome and died way before his time.