Super Contributor

Re: Did you ever run into a famous person?

I have 2... I helped Muriel Hemingway find clothes when I worked at the Limited at South Coast Plaza many years ago.  I also met Martha Stewart at a book signing.  She was very nice and gracious. P1010011.JPG

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm a big baseball fan and have met many players- at autograph signing events as well as just at the ballpark. Spring Training is the best place to meet players- it's a very fan friendly environment. Although Sandy Koufax was still nasty to me when I asked for his autograph!! Woman LOL

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

What a fun topic. In the 70s, my big bro was in the Air Force stationed near LA - I was a teen and flew out to visit him. At LAX, ****** Clark, from American Bandstand, and another guy sat next to our table and discussed business. He was thinner than he looked on TV. My brother kicked me under the table and said, stop looking at him. I was eating a wedge salad with bleu cheese dressing. Just one of those things you remember. Around 14 years ago we chatted with Garth Brooks in Arizona; out in public. Great guy. Down to earth. We wanted a group photo so our teen daughter would believe us. He said, let's get her on the phone. He called her and said her folks really did take a photo with him and she needs to get her homework done before she does anything else that evening. What a cool guy.

Daughter and son work in marketing and meet a lot of professional sports people. Friend's son is a song writer in Nashville. We met a few artists through him. Darius Rucker was the most famous (IMO). What a laid-back guy. 

In Key West, we recognized The Hulk wrestler, with his family, walking around. We were with our family. He saw us looking at him across the road and waved. We waved back and we went on our way. That guy's much bigger than I thought.         

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Honored Contributor

I was kid and was born and raised in So. Calif and remember my folks pointing out Bob Hope in another car driving on the freeway in San Diego right next to us.

I was only about 9 and out in the supermarket with our neighbor lady (who was German) and as a heavy man with darkish hair passed us she said, oh my, that's Walter Slezak (famous character actor back in the day).  She went up to him and started talking in German and he kindly replied and talked to us both for a few minutes.  Of course, I had no idea who he was....     

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Respected Contributor

Robert Duvall was with a girlfriend in a restaurant in VA.  Believe he has a property in Middleburg (horse country here) and they say he often frequents the restaurant we were visiting.  

Respected Contributor

In Chicago I’ve seen - Chris Rock on Rush St (bars), Rob Lowe at a restaurant (years ago.  He wanted to be noticed), Crystal Gayle (with all that hair), sat at next table from Joel Quenville (Chgo Hawks coach), John Cusack (outside the Music Box Theater).

There are a handful of Chicago newscasters that live around town. 

in Palm Springs - The Olson twins

I don’t fawn over or ask anyone for signatures etc

Esteemed Contributor

While working for Warner Bros., I met Drew Barrymore back in the 90's, she was adorable.  Maria Shriver is another famous person I met, very gracious but oh, soooooooo thin.  Newt Gingrich came to give a speech in one of the buildings I managed and I spoke with him as well, he thanked me for making his visit comfortable and successful.

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Honored Contributor

Image resultBellamy Young of Scandal

While I was in Fine Jewelry at Belk, I sold Bellamy Young jewelry when she and her mother were shopping.  Bellamy and I graduated from the same high school, and her mother was a teacher like I had been.

Bellamy had beautiful, long eye lashes and no makeup on except lipstick.

She was extremely nice and adored her mother.

Super Contributor

Darius Rucker and I went to the same small high school, he was a year ahead of me and dated a cheerleader for a while (she was a close friend of mine). He did not have the easiest childhood but he rose above that. He had a close friend, Rick, and his family looked out for Darius like he was their own. He still thanks them, visits them, etc. Actually he still does many charity things for his hometown. No one nicer in my opinion, and people do frequently still bump into him around here. I saw him downtown somewhere about two years ago, and he got onstage and did an impomptu mini-concert. He knew half the crowd by name lol.

Sports was always my thing so when I got to say "hi" to Joe Montana while he was warming up in Atlanta I thought I'd died and gone to heaven. The next year we stayed at the same hotel as the 49'ers and I got to meet Ronnie Lott and John Rathman. Ronnie was a beast on the field, but had such a soft spoken voice lol....not what I expected.

Funniest story though was when my daughter was 11 I entered her into an N'Sync VIP experience contest. Surprise, she won! And she completely freaked out and refused to go hahaha....she was so shy, and I didn't make her. But I wasn't going to miss the opportunity and took a friend and went. I'm pretty sure they were shocked at our ages (Lord did we stick out like a sore thumb) but they were so nice. I finally asked one of them to please stop calling me "ma'am" hahahaha.....Justin Timberlake was so soft spoken, but even then he had a good sense of humor. We got to take pictures, get autographs and just kind of hang out. They did a really nice picture for me to take home to my daughter too.

She has kicked herself a thousand times since then for not going--she's a huge Justin Timberlake fan now! Smiley Happy

Never mistake kindness for weakness
Super Contributor

oops meant to add that the only unpleasant experience was Stockard Channing, during the height of her "Grease" Rizzo fame.....not very nice at all. Of course I was a teenager, so maybe I didn't handle it well.

I've really enjoyed reading this thread! Thanks OP for starting it!

Never mistake kindness for weakness