Honored Contributor

Did you ever have anything you could show on Antiques Roadshow? Did you ever

have anything that would get you on the show with Frank Fox and Mike? Treasures for some something else for others?

I have maybe one antique....but I wouldn't take it into the show. It's interesting to see what they show.

The BBC had one show I use to watch where people wanting to make money, would have these people come into their homes and pick and choose things to sell. it was interesting and I liked to see some of the treasures the people from England had. I like to see the patterns in dishes they had. It was fun.

Anyone?

Honored Contributor

Re: Did you ever have anything you could show on Antiques Roadshow? Did you ever

[ Edited ]

Antiques Roadshow came to my town one year.  I sent in a picture of a beautiful antique chest that I have that was my mother's.  I was not chosen to be on the show and didn't win tickets to go either.  I'm not familiar with the show with Frank Fox and Mike.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Trusted Contributor

Re: Did you ever have anything you could show on Antiques Roadshow? Did you ever

I have a few things from my great-grandmother, but not sure if they would be considered interesting enough to be chosen for the show.

Esteemed Contributor

I own an antique book of pressed flowers from the Holy Land that is identical to an item appraised on ARS.  The book was appraised at $250.  Did go into Gold and Silver Pawn in Vegas (didn't see any of the guys from the show but they did have some amazing stuff.

Trusted Contributor

@Nicknack wrote:

Antiques Roadshow came to my town one year.  I sent in a picture of a beautiful antique chest that I have that was my mother's.  I was not chosen to be on the show and didn't win tickets to go either.  I'm not familiar with the show with Frank Fox and Mike.

I also tried to get tickets when Antiques Roadshow came to a city near me.  It was a ticket lottery and I did not get any.  I have a pair of German binoculars from WW2 that I wanted to take. 

"Pickers" is a show on the History Channel freaturing a store in eastern Iowa called Antique Archeology.  They also have a store in Nashville now.  Mike and Frank go around the country looking for items to buy for the store.  It is fun to watch. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I own a very, very old Japanese ceramic stoneware "flower-arrangement" bowl that my mother brought with her from Japan after she married my dad. She once told me that the bowl was passed down to her as a tradition in the popular art form of flower arranging. The bowl is said to be several hundred years old. It is carefully packed away for safe-keeping and maybe one day someone will find it and discover it's true history. For now, however, I won't take it out of it's box. I personally don't have a real good reason to do so other than mere curiosity. imo it  belongs in a museum somewhere.

Honored Contributor

Anything I own would be shown at the end of the show where people tell how the items they bought were estimated to be worth much less than they had hoped.

Honored Contributor

I have a lot of mission style antique furniture. My prize piece is a Stickley buffet - I once saw an almost exact same piece on AR and they told the lady $10,000 to $20,000 at auction. My DH yelled "sell it" ! It is my only Stickley piece so the others aren't as valuable. I haved a small end table my great grandmother brought over on the boat from Italy that has ivory inlay on the top - the piece is walnut, and it is beautiful.I also have the trunk she put all her belongings in for the trip - still in perfect condition.Even the leather straps are still good. They came here in 1905.I have a lot more antique furniture and other pieces like linens and dishes. I have a lace tablecloth from the Eisenhower White House that came with documentation proving it is authentic. 

When we die my nieces & nephews should get a fortune for this stuff if they are careful when they sell it.

Honored Contributor

An ANTIQUE?  Me?  Do I count?  That's about all!  LOL!!!

FEW people came to Oklahoma for free land with a wagon, hand cart, or bicycle full of "antiques" or "future antiques."  I have some fruit jars that are about that old, but that's it.

Esteemed Contributor

@151949 wrote:

I have a lot of mission style antique furniture. My prize piece is a Stickley buffet - I once saw an almost exact same piece on AR and they told the lady $10,000 to $20,000 at auction. My DH yelled "sell it" ! It is my only Stickley piece so the others aren't as valuable. I haved a small end table my great grandmother brought over on the boat from Italy that has ivory inlay on the top - the piece is walnut, and it is beautiful.I also have the trunk she put all her belongings in for the trip - still in perfect condition.Even the leather straps are still good. They came here in 1905.I have a lot more antique furniture and other pieces like linens and dishes. I have a lace tablecloth from the Eisenhower White House that came with documentation proving it is authentic. 

When we die my nieces & nephews should get a fortune for this stuff if they are careful when they sell it.

@151949  Do you have the mission/Stickley pieces in your Florida home?  I had always thought that was too heavy and dark for a southern home, but I was proven wrong.  We went through a home, when we were looking to buy, that had mission furniture.  It was beautiful against the white walls.  They mixed it with leather chairs and sofa.  It was done very well. 

Mission/Stickley has kind of phased out in popularity right now, but I am sure it will come back....everything does.  Right now, the big thing is Mid-century.  Your ivory inlaid table sounds lovely and would probably garner a nice price now.  The trunks are in most every antique shop, but the straps aren't alway intact. 

I am sure that the pieces mean more to you than $$$$$$$.

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!