Respected Contributor

Re: Did you ever get a whiff of food, only to realize it's not there?

yes, that  happens to me, I also smell my late Mothers perfume now and then, i do not wear  perfume and there is none in my home~~

Honored Contributor

I get it often, as sort of a psychic thing.  It's not necessarily, actually seldom, food though.

Usually I will pick up a particular scent and I know, from it, that something is about to happen.  It's usually like somebody calling me or sometimes if I'm on the phone with somebody I will suddenly smell something that turns out to be relative to what they're doing (e.g. smoking or eating something) on the other end of the phone.

I was once talking to a friend on the phone and all of a sudden I smelled cigarette smoke.  I didn't know he smoked because he didn't want me to know he smoked but, apparently, he had just lit up and I smelled it.  Busted.  Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

I smelled propane all afternoon and we did not use propane.  Found out a few days later that I was pregnant!

Honored Contributor

Once in a great while I'll smell bacon cooking late at night and of course no one is cooking anything.  But my Mom used to make a few slices of bacon late at night when I was a kid and put them in a piece of bread.  It would actually wake me up (smelled SO good!).  What I smell is very faint and it also wakes me up once in awhile.

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Respected Contributor

I'm sure you are right that it is nothing. I'm glad you are going to mention it though. Sorry I don't know how to quote posts using my iPhone on these new boards.
Honored Contributor

I once read that this is one way that loved ones that have passed on let you know they're nearby and watching over you.

I don't know if that's true, but it's sort of comforting to think so.   I'll keep an open mind.

Honored Contributor

I am not a Doctor, nor offering any medical advise  BUT...  I have heard smelling certain foods could be the sign of illness or stroke.  Like many people before  having a stroke have said they smelled burning toast.

Also, some smells can be activated by the sight of something in your subconscious.   I am super sensitive to smells. I know sometimes the thought of  a certain person conjurs up a scent.  Don't know why.  But it happens.