Esteemed Contributor

Did you ever get a whiff of food, only to realize it's not there?

I know this is weird, so had to ask if anyone else has had this experience.  It happens to me several tims a year.

About 2 minutes ago, I expeienced a whiff of Caesar Salad, which I love, and immediately realized this was a brain tease.  Now I want to go down the road to Panera and have a Chicken Caesar Salad.

Anyone else experience this?

Honored Contributor

Re: Did you ever get a whiff of food, only to realize it's not there?

@sfnative wrote:

I know this is weird, so had to ask if anyone else has had this experience.  It happens to me several tims a year.

About 2 minutes ago, I expeienced a whiff of Caesar Salad, which I love, and immediately realized this was a brain tease.  Now I want to go down the road to Panera and have a Chicken Caesar Salad.

Anyone else experience this?

I have to say, I experience this food smell phenomena more than I like to admit.

Respected Contributor

No, that has not happened to me.  Once, I smelled roses when there were none around.  That was many years ago. 

Have you ever mentioned that to your doctor? 

Respected Contributor

Not really food.  But I do often smell the odor of my Father's cigars, and no one around me smokes.  Dad died almost 40 years ago, and I find this very strange, but somehow comforting. It's been happening for many years. 

Neighbors nearby do not smoke either, so there is no way this is "real". Wishful thinking perhaps?

Respected Contributor

Maybe it's suggestive smelling.  You think you want to smell it therefore you do, but only in your head.

"Never water yourself down just because someone can't handle you 100% proof."
Esteemed Contributor

@cosmic1 wrote:

No, that has not happened to me.  Once, I smelled roses when there were none around.  That was many years ago. 

Have you ever mentioned that to your doctor

No, I have't mentioned it to my doc.  Next time I see my neuro, I'll bring I'll bring it up. My take is that's it's probably benign.

Esteemed Contributor

I'm glad to know a few others have experienced something similar.  Thank you for sharing.  OP...

Esteemed Contributor

@Perkup wrote:

Not really food.  But I do often smell the odor of my Father's cigars, and no one around me smokes.  Dad died almost 40 years ago, and I find this very strange, but somehow comforting. It's been happening for many years. 

Neighbors nearby do not smoke either, so there is no way this is "real". Wishful thinking perhaps?

I know exactly what you mean.  I have one of my dads old pipes sitting in a fancy ashtry off in a corner of my living room.  Now this was one he used, so obviously there is a lingering smell, however, sometimes the aroma fills the air in a really strong way.  For the most part you would never know it was in the room, but every now and again it's so strong it's as if he's right there smoking it (which, by the way, he never did in my house).  He stopped smoking a pipe when I was still a kid. The pipe and ashray have been on display since he passed 8 years ago.  At any rate, I also find it comforting.  

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have "smelled" the scent of vanilla when there is no vanilla around.  I learned to recognize it as an indicator that a silent migraine is starting.

Along the same line if I get an insatiable craving for chocolate and give in to it I will get a full blown, hit your head against the wall migraine.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Honored Contributor

Sure, those cinnamon buns places in the malls are famous for pumping out that scent.  All to bring us in to buy.

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices