Valued Contributor

Re: Did you ever do the math?

I find young people cannot count back change. They rely on the register to tell them how much change to give back. When the register quits (power failure) they are lost. I think older people know how because before computerized registers, you counted back change. It was the only way.

I worked at the library during high school and learned quickly how to count back change. I don't believe it was taught in school, I learned how to do it because I had no other choice. No calculators, not computers.

What bugs me is if my charge is $5. 91, I hand the cashier a penney so I don't get four pennies back, they get totally confused. I hate having a lot of change in my wallet and try to avoid getting change back. If the amount is low enough, I give change. If the price would include my getting back pennies, I always hand them the pennies to get a dime or quarter back. Totally confuses most young people even using the register.

Trusted Contributor

As a kid I remember helping cashiers do the math.  

Now as an adult I'm helping DH all the time.  Honestly we had a ridiculous argument one night about .01 being a larger number than .1%.  Percentages still throw him off and he wasn't comprehending that you needed to move the decimal point.  I like numbers and math, so many people  freeze up around numbers.

Respected Contributor

@Katcat1 wrote:

@DJs mom  Relax, it's not life threatening.

@Katcat1 are you serious? Nowhere in my threads did I indicate it was life threatening. Just because I disagree with you you think I should relax... LMBO

Honored Contributor

@CelticCrafter wrote:

That's as sad as someone asking what time it was, telling them it was quarter past two and them saying they had no idea what that meant.

And I remember a time not so very long ago, when you could walk up to just about anyone out in public, and get the time from them by the wrist watch on their arm. I rarely see anyone wearing a watch anymore. I even forget to put one on sometimes when I go out and about now (never was one to wear a watch at home).  

Amazing how quickly things change.

Esteemed Contributor

I wonder why some people uphold ignorance.

"It doesn't matter if you can't do basic math..."

"Doesn't matter if you can't read analog clocks..."

"Doesn't matter if you can't write in cursive...."

Strange. I think it matters.

Respected Contributor

We all have strengths and weaknesses. I never liked math, but loved reading. DH was never good at reading but excelled at math. I believe my hub has a slight learning disability in reading and I think my younger son has it, too. Their weakness is phonics related.

Son was determined and learned how to work his way through it. He went to college and grad school. But my husband never really cared to improve his reading skills and only reads work or sports related articles. We’ve been married many years and I’ve never seen him read an entire book. 

I guess some folks might say students that struggle with phonics or can’t figure percentages or can’t form cursive letters shouldn’t graduate HS.  But there are lots of different paths to success.  Both my son and my husband make more $ than I ever did in my career. And they love what they do. 

Esteemed Contributor

@cactusgal wrote:

23821dc3115a0d0d6623279a6a350983 - Edited.jpg

This is one of my favorites in my Words of Wisdom.  He was a brilliant man and he sure got that right. Smiley Wink

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Esteemed Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

@CelticCrafter wrote:

That's as sad as someone asking what time it was, telling them it was quarter past two and them saying they had no idea what that meant.

And I remember a time not so very long ago, when you could walk up to just about anyone out in public, and get the time from them by the wrist watch on their arm. I rarely see anyone wearing a watch anymore. I even forget to put one on sometimes when I go out and about now (never was one to wear a watch at home).  

Amazing how quickly things change.

I wear a watch every single day, whether I am home or out.  My daughter never wears one and one day I questioned her about it, her answer..."I have my phone."  Somehow I find it easier to look at my wrist than dig in my purse for a phone.  But that's me.

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Honored Contributor

Sorry you were offended by the post...sometimes best to just not reply
Honored Contributor

I know telling time is hard now from depending on iPhones for the time...when I taught just five years ago, I had a large, standard clock in my classroom. Some of my students would look at it and then look at me and ask me what time it was....and they were 8th graders! They could figure out the hour but no idea how to figure out the minutes...it was also the same years ago when digital clocks became popular...you could just say the number and that was the time.