Honored Contributor

Re: Did not file for unemployment

As I posted on another thread, unemployment fraud is rampant since March across the country.

He needs to go to the state website and find the fraud page and report it.

People use data from old data breeches to submit unemployment claims.  They target large organizations hoping that they won't notice and won't respond.

The second part (and you can read this on the FTC website) is they call you, pretend they are from unemployment and ask you to send the money back and give you information on how to transfer the money.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Esteemed Contributor

Several months ago we got a debit card from AZ unemployment.  We reported it and last week an investigator got back to us.  Told us to destroy card and sent us a list of actions we could take if we were compromised per our credit reports ( we weren't).

Honored Contributor

Yes, someone filed in my name too.  It's happening everywhere.  My employer notified me and we both filed a fraud report with the state.

Honored Contributor

I posted that the entire prison system in California had inmates that made thousands of fraudulent claims. Some of the claims were ones with stolen identities. 

Valued Contributor

I would suggest your husband check his credit report on (all run together) annual credit report dot com. You can get a free report from each credit agency each year. You can request reports from all three agencies at once, or it may be better to request a different one every three months to see if any other identity theft shows up.
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@hyacinth003  I seriously doubt there's any such entity as "the state department of employment security."  As others have said, just ignore it.

Respected Contributor

@hyacinth003 :  Just wondering how your family situation turned out....

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@vsm wrote:

@hyacinth003  I seriously doubt ther's any such entity as "the state department of employment security."  As others have said, just ifnore it.

@vsm  Department of Employment Security or DES (the initials) is her state's unemployment agency.

It is very real.

Every state names theirs differently.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

I believe its a scam trying to get info out of people fo file claims or do some other dastardly deed.  Don't click on any of it.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I would not ignore this.  I am the victim of this too and in our state we have been instructed to report it to the state, our local police, the FBI and ftcdotgov.  

Someone has used your information to apply for unemployment.  We froze our credit.  

Please take the proper steps to protect yourself.  

My daughter and son in law have had their info used to get large government loans.  They had to do a bit of work to get their mess straightened out.  

“I heard the sound I had to follow”
In Your Wildest Dreams by Justin Hayward