Respected Contributor

Did not file for unemployment

A couple weeks ago, my husband received a letter from the state department of employment security.  It was regarding an application for unemployment.  It listed his last date of employment as March, 2020, and the place a hospital.  Cited lack of work.

A couple days ago he received a bank debit card, naming $0, tied to this claim.

My husband never filed for unemployment and has never been near this hospital.  We have reported this online and by phone (no one calls you back!).

What the heck is this?

Hyacinth

Honored Contributor

Re: Did not file for unemployment

Ignore

Honored Contributor

Someone else may have filed using his name.   

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

@RedTop wrote:

@RedTop 

But why, when we got the debit card, etc.?  How does this help anyone else?

Hyacinth

Honored Contributor

The state would've likely used the current address listed with his name and SS number.   

Esteemed Contributor

@hyacinth003 wrote:

@RedTop wrote:

@RedTop 

Hyacinth

Everyone gets a debit card that requests one when you apply. It's only loaded when your benefits are approved and you certify your weekly claim. When funds load, the card is sold to others. 

It is fraud and it's huge since Covid. DS had to prove he was a US citizen. So did a co worker's husband and adult child. 

There should be a "report fraud" hotline or email on the state's website.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

My best friend works for a large food manufacturing company. Somehow, someone managed to obtain employee information and filed over 1000 fraudulent unemployment claims with the state. It all came to light when these people, who are still employed, started receiving communications from the state unemployment agency. Their employer is working with the state and law enforcement, but meanwhile, these folks have all had their personal information compromised. It's pretty scary. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Honored Contributor

I've heard about people all over, including in NM, getting these cards as part of some scam.  You've done all you can do.  Just forget about it.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

@Snowpuppy wrote:

@hyacinth003 wrote:

@RedTop wrote:

@RedTop 

Hyacinth

Everyone gets a debit card that requests one when you apply. It's only loaded when your benefits are approved and you certify your weekly claim. When funds load, the card is sold to others. 

It is fraud and it's huge since Covid. DS had to prove he was a US citizen. So did a co worker's husband and adult child. 

There should be a "report fraud" hotline or email on the state's website.

@Snowpuppy 

We are not going to call to activate the card of course.  So I still can't figure out how this benefits anyone else trying to steal it.  We have the card and it's not going anywhere!

I did go online to report the claim number as fraudulent.  Always a scam, right?  Thanks for your info.

Hyacinth

Esteemed Contributor

These scam people are busy........same thing happened to me first of November.  Letter & Form from NYS Dept of Labor requesting employment info to complete MY application for unemployment due to Covid.

My name & address were correct.........but SS #  way off.

Marked it up in RED - Retired - Did NOT apply for funds and returned.  For a week received two identical 2 pages form letter - Dead Line for me to reply Dec 15

I've never heard a thing back.

Posting last week here - about AZ and they use debit card.  I also wonder how the thief gets the cash - if money was to be sent to me.

I don't get it..............................