Esteemed Contributor

Did anyoone see the 600# weight loss show?

Last night they had Patient Robert on the show. It's the first time I've seen Dr. Now's patient die. It was a shocker to me..

It was disturbing to see. Robert fought so hard and tried so hard to work the program. He was successfully working the program, but his body just gave out. He had a drug problem along with his obesity. 

Robert's fiancee was just an angel. She stuck with him so and did so much to help him. She loved him a lot and they both had plans to get married and have children. 

It was a sad night. Dr. Now thought if Robert would have only started a couple years earlier. Robert was, I believe, 41 or 43. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Did anyoone see the 600# weight loss show?

His girlfriend is an angel. She took so much flack from him, and she did everything she could do for him.

My heart just broke for her. I hope she can find someone. and have the family they dreamed of having.

The mother was a real pearl too. I think the poor guy was just so unhappy ,he simply lashed out .and didn't mean it

It's a shame he wasn't able to get help ,a few years earlier, he might have made it

Esteemed Contributor

It was a shocker.  Dr. Now warns his patients to make changes before it is too late.

Honored Contributor

that was a first for this show......truly sad.

CATS ARE HEAVEN SENT
Honored Contributor

It was sad to watch. In the beginning he was so gung ho. He really was working hard to lose weight. But as Dr Now keeps saying over and over again, these people have to get moving or their bodies deteriorate. I am not sure if it was his pain medication addiction or his weight or just a combination of the two, that caused his death. But there was certainly quite a change in him from the beginning of the show until after the surgery to get that mass off his right side.

I had seen 2 other people die. Maybe they were not Dr Now's patients. One lady had a number of daughters. And she would sit in bed and her daughters would bring her large meals. And someone would come to check on her because she couldn't get out of bed and her room had large bottles of soda along the wall. I am not sure if she even got the surgery because I don't think she ever lost weight to get the surgery.

Then it was awhile ago. A lady got weight loss surgery and she was also bed bound. She died about 2 days after the surgery. I wonder if that is why they insist that people lose some weight and are able to move around before they operate.

I am absolutely amazed that the heart/body can function with all the weight. They say you heart is about the size of your fist. And that muscle is pumping blood throughout 600 pounds? I think that is what amazes me about the show. And yet some people tend to fight Dr Now about losing weight. They still want to eat their pizza.

Honored Contributor

I too recall the person that died after surgery. It's a shame about this man but the heart just can't function well in a body that's over 800 pounds.

Honored Contributor

I had a sister in law who was morbidly obese most of her adult life.

She passed when she was in her 50s, doctors told her her organs were just worn out, doing the work of 2-3 people.

The family was in such denial.   She had a career and seemed to be functional in every way.   I never saw her gorge herself.  She taught Sunday School every week.  She never married. Awesome cook.   She was particular about her appearance, she was nothing like I see on those 600# shows.

I married into that family and I have always been curious as to how people get that large.   I know it has to be partly blamed on some hormonal balance.  Yes, I know people overeat but why?   Some of it can be psychological but I think some of it is hormonal too.

I did not see this show about Robert, I did watch the young man who sings and wants to go to Los Angeles to start a career in the music business.    He seemed to do pretty well but his family doesn't help.   He lost some weight then had the surgery.   He's not one of Dr. Now's patient, it's a different show.

Esteemed Contributor

I think that Robert was the first one who was ready to follow all of the directions at the very beginning once he had his first appointment with Dr. Now.  

I think his girlfriend was very nice as was his mother, but they were like the enablers on the other shows where they got him whatever foods he wanted so that he would not throw a tantrum.  Dr. Now made everything very clear and he followed everything until his surgery.  

While I was surprised that he did not survive, I was wondering when there would be a show with just that ending.  Too often, people see either the happy results or the lazy ones, but they all survive.  I am not sure how realistic that is, especially since Dr. Now ended the show saying how too many doctors just give morbidly obese people pain meds and it is often too late when they get the help that they really need.

RIP Robert.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Honored Contributor

It is not much different for those who suffer with anorexia.  Many gain back to a healthier weight, but they die of a heart attack when their hearts give out ...weakened from years of starvation and malnutrition. That is what happened to Karen Carpenter.  You can not always save your life just by gaining or losing the weight....the damage is already done. 

Honored Contributor

Yes, Robert was well over 800 lbs.  How his gf went through that road trip to get him to Houston, I'll never know.  And then he fell!  I thought that the doctors that treated him for the fall would find a way to get him to Houston but, no.

I wondered how the people at the hotels felt about him being there because it seemed that he damaged the door openings and Lord knows what else.

From my point of view, Robert was a Dr. Jykel and Mr. Hyde.  He was nice to everybody but he showed a bad side to the gf.  To me, he treated her like a servant.  I couldn't help wondering how bad he would treat her if he was in good shape.  

I remember a lady dying as well.  But Dr. Now had released her from his care because she wouldn't cooperate with the treatment and was very argumentative.  At the end of the show, there was the note that she had passed away soon after being released.  It might be the patient that had several daughters.

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)