Valued Contributor

Re: Did anyone watch the Billboard Music Awards?

On 5/19/2014 brii said:

I didn't even know it was on...

I cannot stand Robin Thicke sounds like Miley is having some drug issues...

she's really messed up since the death of her dog. he was killed by a coyote while she was on tour.

"If I am not for myself, who will be for me? But if I am only for myself, who am I? If not now, when?" Hillel
Honored Contributor

Flew by it for a second....it's "telling" that there are only 7 replies when this was a "stop down" view in the past, yes? I listen to a lot of talk radio, but flip over to the pop stations once in a while, so fancy myself being culturally "hip" enough to know today's chart makers. When the announcer was listing the line up for performers/presenters, I didn't have a clue who 1/2 of those performers were!!

Come to think of it, I don't have a clue what Drake or Nikki Minaj sounds like...it seems more of the artists today are celebrities even before singing a note, you know? Lorde...she's today's 'Stevie Nicks'....so weird & quirky, she's cool. Ludicris...love him, but he's not MC material. I was out within 10 minutes.

Another failed awards show. Too many awards!

Valued Contributor

I can't stand to watch these kind of shows anymore. To me, nothing about them says music. Just a bunch of overpaid people jumping around and screaming on stage.

Super Contributor

Watched with my husband who closely follows contemporary music, so when people performed he could tell me who they were. We both enjoyed the performances and particularly enjoyed Katie Perry's performance. Jenny from the block looked really beautiful and her acceptance speech was heartfelt...
Honored Contributor

Any awards show which would have J Lo as their closing super icon performer is pretty weak, IMO. I do not dislike J Lo, but an icon she is not.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Trusted Contributor

On 5/19/2014 Ford1224 said:

Any awards show which would have J Lo as their closing super icon performer is pretty weak, IMO. I do not dislike J Lo, but an icon she is not.

You know, I'm glad I wasn't the only one thinking this. How she can be an icon is beyond me. Surely there are far better singers and butt shakers out there than JLo.

{#emotions_dlg.lol}

Honored Contributor

It was nothing special. I don't like that the singer's can't be there to accept their awards and are wired in. I know they have other commitments, but it lessons the experience for me.

Honored Contributor

Speaking of Robin, I caught a peek at Paula's new movie, looks dreadful.

Super Contributor

I missed it since I forgot it was on and went on a date with Godzilla. Wish I had recorded it. I've been watching the morning shows and the Michael Jackson hologram performance is all the talk, I will have to find it and watch. I can understand how it would be a strange thing since it is so "lifelike" and probably difficult for some of his fans to watch. I also heard about Robin's song to Paula trying to win her back. I don't know how I feel about that, I think people should not play out their private lives in such a public way, but he obviously wants her back. He must have done something pretty bad because they have known each other for years and she seems to be moving on with her life. It is a shame since they have a child together, hope things work out for them if it's meant to be. I also want to see the Miranda Lambert and Carrie Underwood performance. I only saw a small clip and Miranda looks gorgeous. She lost quite a bit of weight, she is a petite person and she looked smaller than Carrie standing side by side. I think she and Blake Shelton are such a cute couple, but she's a small little thing and he is so tall. I also got to see Justin Timberlake's acceptance speech and he is such a class act. Seems there is nothing that guy can't do....sing, act, dance, do comedy. I loved his comment that he thanked everyone on earth except Donald Sterling. {#emotions_dlg.laugh}

Respected Contributor

I watched quite a lot of it. I LOVED Miley's rendition of Lucy in the Sky. It was modern and all the glitter was so cool. (I could have lived without the guy having the sparkle fall on his privates). I bet Paul is happy people are still doing his music.

Also LOVED the duet with Miranda Lambert and Carrie Underwood. I'm not a fan of Carrie's but the duet was great. Miranda really looked HOT! Blake better make sure he saves plenty of time for her!