Honored Contributor

Re: Did anyone shop at Whole Foods today?

[ Edited ]

We were there today-they have little orange signs comparing the old price to the new price on some items. Most of what we saw averaged around .50-.69 cents lower than the former prices.

Avocadoes were almost $1 less.  Tomatoes were lower.   Some other items that we were not buying but did notice signs.

We didn't get meat and the only dairy was some 1/2-1/2 which was on sale anyway.

Pudding was not marked down.Smiley TongueSmiley LOL

One nice thing was at the check-out you could donate to the Red Cross.Smiley Happy

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

I went to Whole Foods earlier today and their avocados and organic grapes were quite a bit less than either of the other stores I checked in the past 2 days.

@QueenDanceALot

i am lucky to have a sams club close by that i belong to.

i can get a bag of avocados (usually 6-7 of them in a bag) for about $5 or so.

just bought some this past sunday......waiting for them to ripen.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

@sunshine45 wrote:

no, the closest one to me is about ten miles away......i prefer to stay around my own general neighborhood when doing my grocery shopping.

Almost every store/type of store is 10+ miles from me (more like 20+ most of the time). If I want a choice at all, of any kind, there is zero in my neighborhood. I don't even have a neighborhood.

@Moonchilde

that is far!

anywhere i have lived i have made sure that at least two grocery stores are less than two miles away. i know that is not feasible for everyone, but it was important for me when choosing a home.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

@sunshine45 wrote:

no, the closest one to me is about ten miles away......i prefer to stay around my own general neighborhood when doing my grocery shopping.

Almost every store/type of store is 10+ miles from me (more like 20+ most of the time). If I want a choice at all, of any kind, there is zero in my neighborhood. I don't even have a neighborhood.

@Moonchilde

that is far!

anywhere i have lived i have made sure that at least two grocery stores are less than two miles away. i know that is not feasible for everyone, but it was important for me when choosing a home.

@sunshine45, I didn't choose where I live, it's through the kindness and generosity of family - who are all very used to those distances...sigh ;-(

I do have one Safeway and one kwappy dirty discount market within 3 miles. One gas station. Two CVS. A Starbucks (wow!). So I can grocery shop closer, but without choice, or better offerings. For the choices I need to go further afield.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

I'm a world class shopper, but when it comes to groceries, I'm a one stop girl. I'm thrilled with the Publix by us and that's where I do my shopping. I don't want to have to "chase" my groceries by going to several stores just to accomplish our weekly shopping. 

I DO go to Whole Foods every so often to get the body wash my nephew uses so I can put it in his college care packages. I can't find it anywhere else locally so I get it there. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

I went to Whole Foods earlier today and their avocados and organic grapes were quite a bit less than either of the other stores I checked in the past 2 days.

@QueenDanceALot

i am lucky to have a sams club close by that i belong to.

i can get a bag of avocados (usually 6-7 of them in a bag) for about $5 or so.

just bought some this past sunday......waiting for them to ripen.

@sunshine45

There's a Sams Club not far from me but I haven't been there in years, it's not really convenient because of the crosstown traffic.  All I remember about Sams Club was that everything was so LARGE, like giant cans of tuna and spaghetti sauce.  I just never buy such big amounts.  Even 6 or 7 avocados - I couldn't eat them all when they all ripen at the same time (unless I made a vat of guacamole for a party or something!)

My neighbor loves going there, but she feeds more people on a regular basis than I do!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've only been to Whole Foods twice, same for Trader Joe's.  I would love to shop there, but all their stores are 30+ miles from me.  They have pretty much reserved them to be built in the high income areas.  But we do have an Aldi's that I like shopping in.

Trusted Contributor

I was at Whole Foods earlier today, I wasn't "wowed" by their prices. I can get organic produce at Mariano's or Meijer for prices less than what Whole Foods charges for their organic offerings.

Honored Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

@sunshine45 wrote:

Yes...more than 10 miles for me to get to Whole Foods, but most of it is on the freeway.  I drive further than that to get to most other shopping, like Costco, Target, and other stores   Not a big deal, since I often have appointments or business errands to do near those stores.  

Honored Contributor

I did go to Whole Foods today, but didn't have time to browse, nor did I notice any orange signs for the new lower priced items.  

I'll have more time next week when I'm in that area again.  I do buy avocados almost every time I shop, so I'll get those next time.