Esteemed Contributor

Re: Did anyone hear Bezos latest?

@JumpTheRope wrote:

I’ve been saying for years that the ultra-rich don’t care about THIS planet,

because they’re going to jet off of it before it explodes.

Apparently Jeff is making just such a plan.

On a panel, he explained how he and several others are planning to 

go to the moon in the next decade, “not to visit, but to stay”.

As a grandmother, I was curious why the 1% seemingly does little (in relative terms) to Save Our Planet.....after all, they have grandchildren

who will be left with this mess.

Apparently they DO have a plan...jet Off of this doomed planet and set up

a “New Earth”.

If ANYONE can succeed at what sounds like delusional thinking,

it’s JEFF BEZOS.

It is typical of some people to "trash " the earth with pollutants in our water, air and soil to want to take off  as soon as possible rather than try to be good stewards of our planet . Make your money & trash things up and leave.  Then there are those who speak a good game  abt preserving our planet but can't even pick up their own trash they leave scattered abt .

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

Edit to Add: I forgot who i’m quoting, but anyway...

Are you purposely misreading my post?

When you quote, use ALL the words.

I said , “ at WHAT SOUNDS LIKE DELUSIONAL THINKING”.

I have been a customer since he sold only books and have listened to folks laugh at his ideas for years.....only to see him conquer whatever he set his mind to.

He and his team are smart enough to do whatever he decides to do.

If he says he and his partners are going to the moon “to stay”,

.......I wouldn’t EVER BET AGAINST Jeff Bezos.

Stop looking for a political fight.

Ive thought for awhile that those who CAN ESCAPE the draughts, famine, fires, rising sea levels, etc......WILL......wouldn’t you?

The only folks who CAN, happen to be the 1%.

Super Contributor

@Vivian wrote:

What gets me is the unfeeling callousness of Bezos and his ilk. What I mean by that is in that position, I'd want to give back to the country that provided me with the opportunities to earn my riches. I know. He can spend his money as he wishes. I just think that instead of throwing money at the moon,perhaps it would be better to improve what needs fixing on earth, as Bill Gates, Oprah Winfrey, and Warren Buffett do.

I personally would leave Oprah off of that list.

Unless she is on the the “other list” that Buffet, Gates and others have signed.

Where they’ve pledged to give away most of their money.

I don’t think Oprah is on the list. A few schools in Africa don’t 

come close to what Gates, etc. have already donated.

She is an ultra billionaire, who preaches how to live better on a budget.

This is my personal opinion, as I have heard her say, a few years ago, that she resented her family “expecting” her to help them out w college costs.

Ive never looked at her the same way, since...and I was a Fan.

Super Contributor

@hckynut wrote:

@JumpTheRope 

At last count, this planet has "exploded" 4 times during my decades of living on it. As far as Bezos? He can do whatever he wishes with HIS money. As long as he follows the laws of the US, what he does with HIS money, is his business not mine.

This to me Falls into the "iffy" category on this Bulletin Board, so I will say only this. If those that are believers are really  concerned?  I can think of 2 other countries that should concern them more than the 1 in which I reside.

hckynut

”IFFY CATEGORY ON THIS BB”?

Says who?

Bezos and his ilk got rich by leveraging and lobbying, etc.

TV hosts, business channels, even 60- minutes, 

all agreed Jeffry was nuts....”dreamer”, “in the red”

blah, blah.

He has proved them ALL WRONG.

If his lawyers and lobbyists exploited and worked around every loophole to squeeze every nickel 

from “the government “, then kudos to him.

In fact “HIS MONEY” has made my life easier.

I would not bet against Bezos, no matter what 

ideas he has.

And this One and Only planet that we were charged with caring for.....is being destroyed, first by the Industrial Revolution (when they didn’t realize the consequences),

then by GREED AND WILLINGNESS, after we KNEW BETTER.

Thats why the younger folks are ticked off.

Anyway, now I have strayed off point!

Super Contributor

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@hckynut wrote:

@Nbo wrote:

The reality is that we allowed the rich to destroy the planet just like in the movies and then they go building domes on earth. They also build rockets so they can move to another planet or moon to live, and leave the rest of us to live in misery

Amazing the horrific future so many here invision.

Our grand/kids KNOW what’s coming. 

They ENVISION it clearly...they read the scientific journals.

Droughts and starvation are already occurring, which is part of the reason mass migration north is occurring.

And why private companies are trying to purchase PUBLIC waters,

and some towns are so strapped for cash (not enough tax revenues)

they are allowing it.

He who owns the water.....owns the world.

Forget about Oil.....Water is where the money will be.

Super Contributor

@HeatherAG wrote:

@JumpTheRope wrote:

I’ve been saying for years that the ultra-rich don’t care about THIS planet,

because they’re going to jet off of it before it explodes.

Apparently Jeff is making just such a plan.

On a panel, he explained how he and several others are planning to 

go to the moon in the next decade, “not to visit, but to stay”.

As a grandmother, I was curious why the 1% seemingly does little (in relative terms) to Save Our Planet.....after all, they have grandchildren

who will be left with this mess.

Apparently they DO have a plan...jet Off of this doomed planet and set up

a “New Earth”.

If ANYONE can succeed at what sounds like delusional thinking,

it’s JEFF BEZOS.

This is completely never going to happen.

Jeff has been told that by experts for decades.

Whos laughing now?

Of course my post contained a bit of satire/exaggeration.

Its not going to LITERALLY EXPLODE...

but die off, species by species, from deforestation, lack of water, drought,

a slow painful death.

Honored Contributor

@JumpTheRope 

"Says who"? In reference to your reference to my saying "IFFY".  I said it, does that answer your question?

I am aware of what is happening to the earth on which we live. As for being "destroyed" by the things you mention? That may be your opinion, but it is not mine. Nor do I expect it to, "once again" Blow Up, as has been predicted at least 4 times during my 9+ different decades on this planet.

I don't place these issues on a 1% of the human population, in this country, or the world. "That's why younger folks are ticked off"! Really? Are these the same younger folks who think capitalism is a bad thing/need safe spaces/view facts as micro aggressions?  Wait till they actually earn a paycheck and have to start paying taxes.

Oops I! I have segwayed, but that is not a new revelation to anyone that has been on these Forums for many years. Talk with ya later,

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

@tansyAmazon/Bezos is following the tax code.  Don't like that?  Change the tax code.  In the meantime, he and his accountants and lawyers take advantage of every possible deduction, exclusion, business structuring, etc. currently available.  All of that is perfectly legal.  EVERY taxpayer should do the same.

Honored Contributor

@Cats3000 wrote:

@JumpTheRope"Delusional thinking"?  Shame on you.

Jeff Bezos created Amazon.com.  I have no doubt that naysayers and "flat earth" adherents said the same thing about that idea.  It has revolutionized how we shop.   It has made him a "gazillionaire".  The founders of Home Depot took an idea and created an industry.  Sam Walton began with one store, had a vision and that became WalMart.  And there are others.

"The 1%"?  "Save the planet"?  "Save the planet" from what?  Stuff from a political playbook.  Class warfare.  "Us v. Them".  It is ugly and repulsive.  This country has begun a trip down a road that will lead to demise.  Why we have allowed ourselves to take the trip is beyond my comprehension.

Facts are not disputable.  Not everyone believes or likes facts about "stuff" but it doesn't make them a playbook or untrue.  

Esteemed Contributor

@JumpTheRope wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@hckynut wrote:

@Nbo wrote:

The reality is that we allowed the rich to destroy the planet just like in the movies and then they go building domes on earth. They also build rockets so they can move to another planet or moon to live, and leave the rest of us to live in misery

Amazing the horrific future so many here invision.

Our grand/kids KNOW what’s coming. 

They ENVISION it clearly...they read the scientific journals.

Droughts and starvation are already occurring, which is part of the reason mass migration north is occurring.

And why private companies are trying to purchase PUBLIC waters,

and some towns are so strapped for cash (not enough tax revenues)

they are allowing it.

He who owns the water.....owns the world.

Forget about Oil.....Water is where the money will be.

If the future is so dismal why continue to have children.  Are you not condemming them to a life of misery.  Yet babies are born everyday all over the world.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.