Honored Contributor

Re: Did anyone hear Bezos latest?

@JumpTheRope   Your opening post has misinformation as pointed out before by several posters.

Bezos plan was for the next 100 years, not 10.

It was also not to jet off to the moon to save himself from a doomed planet.  Which is not about to explode.

His plans were pointed out several times to correct the misinformation.

As far as the 1%, getting a little stale always pointing at them as not doing a thing to help save the planet.

Such resentment is unfair and leads one to wonder just what the heck the other 99% do themselves to protect this Earth.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Esteemed Contributor

@bjabuceye wrote:

The 1% do nothing except devise ways to demolish the middle class. As for their grandchildren, they would cut their throats and drink their blood for sustenance. They're not like the rest of us, who would jump in front of a train to save ours. 

Bobbi

So only those of us who are not in the 1% love our children and grandchildren?  That's ridiculous.  You're painting a whole lot of people with a very broad brush.  Based, might I add, on absolutely nothing.  How are you possibly qualified to determine how fiercely other people love their families?

I know several 1%-ers.  And your description doesn't fit them at all.  Generalizing is never a good idea, but this one is really ridiculous.

Esteemed Contributor

@Porcelain wrote:

@NYC Susan wrote:

@kitcat51 wrote:

The earth isn't doomed, it's not going to explode & many of the ultra rich are very generous...the them vs us is wrong & needs to stop.

Exactly.  Many very wealthy people are extremely charitable with both time and money.  And often it's done privately, with no publicity.  It's entirely possible (and very common) to live a lavish lifestyle and also be extremely generous toward good causes of all kinds.

You are so right - "The them vs. us is wrong and needs to stop".  Well said!

The very rich are a mixed bag just like any other population. There are some awesome ones and some complete rogues. You can't generalize about them with any more accuracy than you can about poor people, or middle class people. All you can say accurately is they have oodles of dough.

Yes, absolutely.  I said "many", not all.  (Or am I misunderstanding?)

There's so much generalizing and putting people into categories on these forums.  "All doctors".  "The younger generation".  "Disabled people".  "All men".  "Brides today"  I see it so often here..  There are good and bad apples in every generation, every income level, every occupation, etc.   We are all individuals.  Attributing positive or negative qualities to an entire group of people makes no sense.  

Honored Contributor

@NYC Susan wrote:

@bjabuceye wrote:

The 1% do nothing except devise ways to demolish the middle class. As for their grandchildren, they would cut their throats and drink their blood for sustenance. They're not like the rest of us, who would jump in front of a train to save ours. 

Bobbi

So only those of us who are not in the 1% love our children and grandchildren?  That's ridiculous.  You're painting a whole lot of people with a very broad brush.  Based, might I add, on absolutely nothing.  How are you possibly qualified to determine how fiercely other people love their families?

I know several 1%-ers.  And your description doesn't fit them at all.  Generalizing is never a good idea, but this one is really ridiculous.

@NYC Susan 

Mind boggling, isn't it?   

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@NYC Susan wrote:

@bjabuceye wrote:

Bobbi

@NYC Susan 

Mind boggling, isn't it?   

Yes, it sure is!  It's insane to believe they don't do anything except cook up ways to destroy the middle class.  That's how the entire 1% population spends all of their time, I guess.  Smiley LOL

And they - every one of them - would not only not save their own grandchildren from danger, but they would actually kill them.  I mean, seriously?

It's all beyond ludicrous.  I'm kind of sorry I replied now.  It wasn't even worthy of a response.

Valued Contributor

It gets so tiring to hear all the disparaging remarks and downright hatred for wealthy people.

they don't do enough

they don't give to charity

they ruined the plant

they are selfish

they, they, they

Many of them became rich because they were smarter than others, knew how to get things done, were innovators, sat in garages building things before taking them to market. Lived in cars until they got successful. And then when their companies took off they became enemies,

Zuckerberg? Yeah sure, no one uses Facebook

Bezos - uh huh. No one uses Amazon

Lary Page and Sergey Brin- sure people use Bing instead Google - not even

Mark Cuban - sold his first company and invested in others

The rich invented things we all use. In the medical field, many innovations came from start up companies that took off,

But why go on,they are continually villifed, they don't pay enought taxes either. 

I guess no one here would be happy if they invented something and became wealthy from the invention, No, they'd give it all away and live like a poor person because that's the only decent thing to do when you have money,

If a billionaire has everything money can buy on earth and wants to dream big about something else, who cares? What problems is he going to solve on earth with his money? Can he change politics, deep seated hatreds, overdevelopment, what else?

If someone could donate 100 million dollars to eradicte hatred forever, wouldn't they? 

I will never understand the hate bandwagon for wealthy people. I wish I was, My life would be a lot easier and less stressful if I didn't have to worry everytime my car broke that I had to use a credit card to pay repairs because I didn't have the extra money in my bank account

Valued Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

I choose to listen to the VAST majority of scientists when it comes to climate change. There are significant differences between it the other supposed disasters mentioned on this thread.

The main problem for so many of us is that we can't see or feel it. We hear about how those in many, many parts of the world are affected in some way, but we ignore it. Let someone else worry about. Don't let it affect MY business or my creature comforts.

And if it is real, well, I probably won't be around to see the devastation or worry about my decendants.

and your solution is? If there is one and you have it all along please divulge so we can pass it along to TPTB

Contributor

I truly doubt that you know several 1%ers. You do have a superior sense of self, though. Great for you! A little judgy toward me, but I can take it!

Contributor

I can understand why your mind would be boggled. Maybe you should lay off the large, bold blue font.

Contributor

Yet you did, at least twice.