Honored Contributor

Re: Did anyone hear Bezos latest?

From what I have seen of the moon, I think I will stick with this doomed planet

Honored Contributor

Goodbye, so long!

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

@Cats3000  You nailed it for sure. I've been saying what you just wrote for a long time now. The end is much nearer than we think. Those with money really have no more than the rest of us. They think they do but they are only all in just for themselves, so if they wish to fly themselves to the moon, mars, jupiter or pluto, they'll ruin those places too.

Super Contributor

The reality is that we allowed the rich to destroy the planet just like in the movies and then they go building domes on earth. They also build rockets so they can move to another planet or moon to live, and leave the rest of us to live in misery

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@JumpTheRope wrote:

I’ve been saying for years that the ultra-rich don’t care about THIS planet,

because they’re going to jet off of it before it explodes.

Apparently Jeff is making just such a plan.

On a panel, he explained how he and several others are planning to 

go to the moon in the next decade, “not to visit, but to stay”.

As a grandmother, I was curious why the 1% seemingly does little (in relative terms) to Save Our Planet.....after all, they have grandchildren

who will be left with this mess.

Apparently they DO have a plan...jet Off of this doomed planet and set up

a “New Earth”.

If ANYONE can succeed at what sounds like delusional thinking,

it’s JEFF BEZOS.

@JumpTheRope   He said the next 100 years, not a decade.

The purpose is to have Earth as residential and light production.

He wasn't talking about people living on the moon (and he said other planets).

He was talking about taking the heaviest manufacturing and transporting goods from there back to Earth.

He also said this would not be just a project by his other company-the Blue Origin.

It would be in coordination with other companies and NASA.

If people wanted to permanently live there, that would be up to them.

HIs plan isn't to save himself and the uber rich and leave the Earth to "explode".

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Esteemed Contributor

It seems there has been very little research into what Bezos is doing on both environmental and space issues

Perhaps baby steps on the environment but there is no magic wand.

As to space issues NASA is working closely with many of the private sector companies entering space exploration and has admitted a private sector entity may well get to the moon before NASA is able to return.  Tax dollar funding versus private sector funding plays a big part.

As an aside just over 57% of Amazon is owned by institutions (i.e. mutual funds).  How many Amazon shares are in your portfolio (whether you know it or not)?

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

All of the exploration research continues to deplete resources from Earth.

It is not going to save anyone it just hurries the destruction for our children.

Esteemed Contributor

@hopi wrote:

All of the exploration research continues to deplete resources from Earth.

It is not going to save anyone it just hurries the destruction for our children.

So your solution is to stop having children?

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Esteemed Contributor

What gets me is the unfeeling callousness of Bezos and his ilk. What I mean by that is in that position, I'd want to give back to the country that provided me with the opportunities to earn my riches. I know. He can spend his money as he wishes. I just think that instead of throwing money at the moon,perhaps it would be better to improve what needs fixing on earth, as Bill Gates, Oprah Winfrey, and Warren Buffett do.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Vivian wrote:

What gets me is the unfeeling callousness of Bezos and his ilk. What I mean by that is in that position, I'd want to give back to the country that provided me with the opportunities to earn my riches. I know. He can spend his money as he wishes. I just think that instead of throwing money at the moon,perhaps it would be better to improve what needs fixing on earth, as Bill Gates, Oprah Winfrey, and Warren Buffett do.

@Vivian   You might want to research into what Bezos does to combat climate change NOW, not just in 100 years with his plans for the moon.

Warren Buffett???  You need to research how he feels climate change should not factor into business decisions-like decisions about investing through Berkshire Hathaway, where he is CEO.

Also his view about the devastating flooding in his own home state of Nebraska.

btw:  I'm no fan of Bezos for other reasons.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh