Honored Contributor

Re: Did anyone ever say to you, "you should be...

I was asked if I wanted to work for Louis Vuitton by a Manager at one of the Boutiques while I was contemplating buying a wallet...  I'd been in there before several times and loved to talk about the product

I remember minute details, have what my husband calls a "calibrated eye" for seeing small details such as stitch count and length and being able to see what is real and what is counterfeit.  I used to go around to resale shops and offer my services because the law is specific.... even if a seller has no clue an item is fake, they are not allowed to sell it by law until they find out it's authentic.  If it's fake, it must be destroyed.  Not knowing is not a defense within the law.  The problem was that no one cared if they were sellilng real or not.

Onen Estate Seller did because he sold a fake (he didn't know) to an eBay reseller who sold it to someone who knew it was fake, took him to court and lost the case!  He cared a lot and I went to all his Estate Sales to help him.

I didn't take the Louis Vuitton job even though I was and still am interested in the product and the company.

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Super Contributor

I have often been told that I should have been either a teacher or a writer. In my younger years I briefly considered both education and sports journalism as careers. Fortunately, it didn't take long to realize that I had neither the patience needed for teaching nor the talent necessary for writing, and I quickly moved on to other choices.

Hugs . . .

Life is tough, but I am tougher!!
Trusted Contributor

My neighborr who is a former chief of police and another neighbor who is a famous activist sat me down and tried to convince me to run for office.  A city manager was retiring, and they thought I would be a good fit.  I was very polite to them, but I was thinking, “Are you both nuts?”  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

My dad always said I should work for the telephone company because as a teenager, I could set records for how long I could talk on the phone to my friends!Cat Very Happy  So...I channeled all of that conversation into a career as a teacher for the past 25 years.  Now, I talk with my mom on the phone for long periods of time.  Guess my dad is still shaking his head.Cat Surprised

I'm not short...I'm fun size!
Respected Contributor

@ALRATIBA wrote:

No one ever said "you should be."  

I never considered what I would never consider.  

One time when I was a kid (grammar school age back in the early 1950s), I thought I'd become an archaeologist.  When I realized that I'd have to crawl around in sand and dirt and get all sweaty and dirty ... I dropped the idea and subscribed to Archaeology Magazine.

@ALRATIBA

You are too funny!  You sound like someone I would like in real life.

Respected Contributor

@qualitygal wrote:

"You should be a Rockette"  ? ??   Or....anything like that, something you'd never have considered, when they suggested that?  

Rocket scientist?

What's a far fetched job you'd never consider?  

@qualitygal

I am loving all these answers.  Great idea!

Super Contributor

@ItsMEI'm quite comfortable with public speaking.  Maybe once I retire from my public service job I'll feel more inclined to get out there, but as it stands now, after a full week of people-ing, I need a lot of quiet time to recharge and refresh!  I'm a hermit on the weekends, love the comfort and safety of my home Smiley Wink

~~Keep calm and hug your pets~~
Super Contributor

@chickenbutt, now that's the career I find myself wishing I had!  I'm a law clerk and prior to this had no knowledge or training, but now, boy do I wish I could be an attorney.  I find it fascinating and I love case law and the what if's....

~~Keep calm and hug your pets~~
Respected Contributor

I was told more than once, I should be a nun.  Then again, the nuns tried recruiting many of us in elementary school and in our all girls high school.

Honored Contributor

In recent years, I've been a personal shopper for a couple of my friends and a few of hubbie's friends ask me to buy presents for the wives.  My bff says that I should call myself a personal shopper and charge for my services.  I don't need extra money and while it does take time, it's fun.  I enjoy doing it.  However, when I do retire perhaps I'll revisit that idea.