Esteemed Contributor

Re: Did anyone ever say to you, "you should be...

One of my college professors told me I should be a voice major; I was a piano major. I never believed him. My singing voice is like a dime a dozen out there.

Respected Contributor

@onionsoup wrote:

@Cumbercookie13 wrote:

I had a man tell me I would make a good phone seX operator, because of my voice. I was 18 and working in a video store when he said it. Smiley Surprised I was going to school for broadcasting at the time, I was planning to be a radio DJ, but that didn't pan out. I left school so I could work full-time and help my grandfather. My grandmother had fallen seriously ill and I needed to help provide financial support. 

I've also been told I should have been a nurse. I'm not squeamish (except when it comes to vomit), but I couldn't handle the long hours, being on my feet all the time, and having to work holidays and going in when the weather is horrendous. I would have major burnout. You have to have a passion for nursing. My sister-in-law is a ICU nurse and right now she's experiencing some burnout. God bless the men and women who do it though.

@Cumbercookie13very creepy.  He probably had an ********* that your youth didn't pick up on.  I would've picked up my stapler and said I'm armed and dangerous as a haha moment, that he would definitely understand as anything but.  

@puttypiesmomOh, I thought he was creepy, and I gave him a look, but since there were other customers in the store at the time, I decided not to make a scene. I rang him up and continued with my shift. I never saw him again so I like to think he knew he was out of line and embarrassed himself. I also had another guy try and pick me up while I was working there and I told the guy I had a boyfriend who was a police officer who liked to come by and check up on me. He didn't believe me, but he did stop pestering me though!

Honored Contributor

I have had several people tell me over the years, "You should be a writer."  I do enjoy writing and would love to author a children's book about pet therapy.  Maybe some day ...

"Faith, Hope, Love; the greatest of these is Love." ~The Silver Fox~
Honored Contributor

@Nataliesgramma wrote:

Interior Decorator.....

I hear this too.

And I reply that I can only put together things I like. I would be lost trying to (or even wanting to) put together something with a style and items I don't care for. 

Honored Contributor

@OfCourse wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

Strangers always ask me  and have for years prior when I was working retail :

" Were you a model when you were younger?"

I do not know quite how to take that...  i am 62 years young....

Is that a compliment?? Or are they telling me that I am old now,.... but look like I COULD HAVE BEEN A MODEL???

I suppose it is  a backsided   compliment of sorts  LOL! Smiley Happy

There is no way this is anything but a compliment!

This is why some people won't give compliments, because others are looking at it from the wrong angle and take it the wrong way. 

Honored Contributor

@Mominohio-

That's the other good reason I never wanted to either!(and people always suggested it)

And the other is just when doing it as a job, its not as enjoyable.

I wouldn't have enough interest to research different styles to create for others either, esp. if I didn't like the styles.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

So many times I have been told I should have been an Elementary School teacher. I love children!!!!! I always wanted to be a 2nd grade school teacher... 

Esteemed Contributor

Hearing the words "You should..." is a total turnoff to me. I don't want to hear what anyone thinks I should or shouldn't do or say.

You should just mind your own business and worry about what YOU should do and leave me alone Woman LOL

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Trusted Contributor

@on the bay Perhaps you should have been a writer...LOL

Honored Contributor

@esmerelda-

That to me seems like such a nerve-wracking scary job. Did they say why they thought that?

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"