Honored Contributor

Re: Did anyone ever say to you, "you should be...

I remember my family thinking I would be in the olympics in swimming, or an actress or singer. Unfortunately, I peaked early in swimming. If I could have chosen to go far in anything it would have been ice skating or gymnastics.

But I think I liked way too many things to just dedicate my whole younger life to one thing.

My theater instructor told us once that if we wanted to be an actor professionally we should put our whole life into it and do nothing else and also never marry someone who wasn't an actor. I knew then that was not the right thing for me.

So I started teaching emotionally disturbed and autistic children and sometimes incorporating theater into it. I loved it. I also played the trumpet for over 30 years.I feel so lucky to have had all these experiences.

I really wanted to be a marine biologist and take care of dolphins-that would be a dream job!

In college I took meterology briefly lol!-I love talking about the weather.

But the second course was chemistry and trig and that was like trying to get information thru a brick wall(my brain) I knew then I couldn't do that.

Then I wanted to be a potter and a dancer! I was lucky to make it 4 years and then determined never to go back! I'm proud I kept that determination!😄

When I was older people said I should be a decorator.I'm good with colors and finding just the right thing and putting things in an attractive arrangement. But don't you find that things you enjoy doing, you wouldn't want to do for a job?

Oh wait-You didn't want an autobiography?!😁-

Once I got started I couldn't seem to stop!

Nice thread @qualitygalSmiley Happy

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

I was told at a young age I should be an artist and I ended up as a graphic designer

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Respected Contributor

@Catlady Nicole  I wish I had that talent!  I'm also an introvert, but I taught myself how to speak in front of a crowd.  It's so empowering!  If you tried it, you might love it!

Respected Contributor

Not far-fetched, but I've been told that I should have been a therapist.  It would have been a good career.  

Honored Contributor

I've had quite a few people tell me that I should have been an attorney because I'm extremely detail-oriented, plus I know that when I'm dealing with somebody who tends to, or would be likely to, lie that I never ask a question the answer to which I don't already know.   That's come in handy numerous times and for those who lie a lot it's kind of fun to mess with them.  Sometimes, especially if it's a boss, there is no other way to get a little satisfaction when they are bold-faced lying to you and there is nothing you can do.

I had one boss like that and he would say something  like 'I was there and blah blah'.  I'd say something back like 'well, that's funny - I was there - etc'. and I'd ask him around what time that was.  Of course, he would lie again because he was never there, which opened me up to ever so innocently proclaim 'Well, that's funny because that was when I was there...etc'.  LMAO   Just don't lie to me or jerk me around and I promise I won't mess with ya!  Smiley Very Happy

I watch a lot of real crime shows and I notice so many things that I wonder if anybody caught that.

Esteemed Contributor

Fun reading your answers. Art teacher. I took an Art for Elementary class in college and professor asked to keep many of my projects as examples. Talked to me about being an art teacher. I kept with my major, however, when between jobs as a young mom, I substitute taught and covering for art teacher was my absolute favorite assignment.  

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Esteemed Contributor

Air traffic controller

Keepin' it real.
Honored Contributor

A psychologist. I'm told that l'm a good listener. People often open up to me, and tell me their problems. They ask for my advice. Apparently they think l have good judgment and common sense, lol.

~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~
Super Contributor

My husband and friends have always told me I should have been an English teacher. I constantly hear people using double negatives or misspelling a word that sounds the same, but, has several meanings and each one is spelled differently. It drives me crazy - really jumps out at me, so to speak. I never even considered being ANY kind of teacher, though. I ended up in the world of finance because I love numbers and puzzles!

Deep In The Heart of Texas
Trusted Contributor

1. A lawyer

2. A radio host or voiceover for commercials

3. A QVC host

4. A writer

5. A realtor

6. Mayor or city councilperson