Respected Contributor

Re: Did anyone ever say to you, "you should be...

[ Edited ]

I had several people tell me that I should be spending more time trying to catch a husband so I could become a wife and mother and less time pursuing my career. They were such delightful conversations. Woman Frustrated

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Honored Contributor

... an elected official.  I would never subject my ethos to that sort of punishment.

Honored Contributor

An attorney/author/speaker/Physical Fitness Trainer/doctor/teacher/coach, and even run for a political office. I settle for running good sized organizations/offering suggestions to others in certain endeavors, and just being a blue color worker and now a retired old man that keeps a high activity level, both body and mind.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

No one ever said "you should be."  

I never considered what I would never consider.  

One time when I was a kid (grammar school age back in the early 1950s), I thought I'd become an archaeologist.  When I realized that I'd have to crawl around in sand and dirt and get all sweaty and dirty ... I dropped the idea and subscribed to Archaeology Magazine.

Honored Contributor

Yes, I should be a make-up model or eye model.  I have a very unusual color of blue eyes.  

I have also been told that I would make a great demon because my eyes glow.

Kids at school tell me I should have been a teacher because I am good at it.  I volunteer and have never taught kids before ....except my own.

Honored Contributor

I've been asked if I'm in radio. After saying no, they tell me I should be, I have a great 'radio' voice. It's deep for a woman.

Valued Contributor

@RetRN wrote:

Playing a string instrument.

Funny you should say that!  My Mom used to say that to me all the time growing up. She was an accomplished violinist, but I just never had that "gift".  I tried it but even she could see it wasn't going to be my career path!  I still have her violin to this day and treasure it and all those memories of listening to her play. 

Honored Contributor

Yes, but I won't say here what they suggested I should be...LOL!Woman LOL

Honored Contributor

Yes, my husband and mother said I should have been an attorney, based on how well I can argue.   

My friends say I should have been a psychiatrist or therapist.  

My police officer BIL and others tried to get me to apply for a dispatcher position with 911 based on my voice and radio communication skills.  

After getting caught up watching YouTube videos, I realize I could’ve been a Pimple Popper!   OMG, if I’d only known there was a future in zits!

Honored Contributor

@RetRN wrote:

Playing a string instrument.

========================

@RetRN You must have long fingers for them to make that observation.  I know someone with long toes and I've been tempted to say "I bet you could hold a brush and paint with those toes.". Of course, I know that would be totally insensitive and I'd never joke about it in real life.