Honored Contributor

Re: Did You Know that Jerry Lewis had a heart attack while making Cinderfella.....

On 3/19/2015 Ford1224 said:

I'm old enough to remember that very well. It was thought for a long time that he would not live very long. And here he has outlived them all. Ironic, yes?

After having worked for MDA, I wouldn't believe a word he ever said - not about his health...not about ANYTHING!

Honored Contributor

Re: Did You Know that Jerry Lewis had a heart attack while making Cinderfella.....

On 3/18/2015 Cakers1 said:
On 3/18/2015 dooBdoo said:
On 3/18/2015 Cakers1 said:

Aww, who didn't enjoy those early days of Jerry's movies. A voice that only a mother could love.{#emotions_dlg.laugh}

Image result for hey lady

Hah! You really did make me laugh out loud, Cakers!{#emotions_dlg.w00t}

Thanks, I needed that!{#emotions_dlg.laugh}

doobs: You're welcome. It's been a joke around here for some time now for other reasons.

I also read somewhere that when filming The Nutty Professor Jerry came home at night and never got out of the serious half of that character, much to the dismay of his then wife.

I didn't know about the "local" forum joke, but it makes me laugh whenever I see or hear it!{#emotions_dlg.laugh}

Pretty interesting about staying in character. I've read of other actors who do that, too, and wonder if it's really so necessary... but then, they're artists, and they use what works for them as an individual. The Nutty Professor is hilarious (the original)!

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

On 3/18/2015 dooBdoo said:

Hi, found! Yes! I saw a documentary about Lewis (a really good film... have to think about where I saw it), and they covered that incident.

eta: It's called "Method to the Madness of Jerry Lewis." I learned so much about him that I didn't know, and gained much more admiration for him. He really was a pioneer in comedy, tv, and film.

For those who don't like him, I wanted to repeat my post. I wasn't so much a fan until I learned more about him. He does have the respect of many of his peers, of many who know him personally, for what it's worth. Then again, sometimes it's hard for us to know the "person behind the mask," even with our closest family and friends.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

He was only 34 when he made Cinderfella. Nutty Professor is his masterpiece!!~

Esteemed Contributor

Love Jerry Lewis.

Honored Contributor

On 3/19/2015 terrier3 said:

I'm old enough to remember that very well. It was thought for a long time that he would not live very long. And here he has outlived them all. Ironic, yes?

After having worked for MDA, I wouldn't believe a word he ever said - not about his health...not about ANYTHING!

Really Terrier? Was he a total fake?

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

On 3/19/2015 terrier3 said:

Jerry Lewis is a real CREEP ...... and those telethons he was hosting all those years? ...... he insisted on being paid a rather large PERCENTAGE of the donations .... he wasn't doing it for free because he's a nice guy. {#emotions_dlg.thumbdown}

He wanted MONEY for his efforts. {#emotions_dlg.unsure}

(How do I know? ...... I know his ex-wife, who got snockered one night and spilled the beans ..... she was much too drunk to have any filters.)

Super Contributor

On 3/20/2015 Tinkrbl44 said:
<br class="quote_author" />

Jerry Lewis is a real CREEP ...... and those telethons he was hosting all those years? ...... he insisted on being paid a rather large PERCENTAGE of the donations .... he wasn't doing it for free because he's a nice guy. {#emotions_dlg.thumbdown}

(How do I know? ...... I know his ex-wife, who got snockered one night and spilled the beans ..... she was much too drunk to have any filters.)

I don't believe you. The MDA annual report has to disclose where every dime is spent, including $ from the telethon. It is a false rumor that JL ever received a dime for his work; the MDA alone has stated that he is their most committed volunteer.

This isn't the first time you have posted misinformaion and I don't believe for one minute you know his wife.

Honored Contributor

On 3/20/2015 Cakers1 said:
On 3/20/2015 Tinkrbl44 said:
<br class="quote_author" />

I don't believe you. The MDA annual report has to disclose where every dime is spent, including $ from the telethon. It is a false rumor that JL ever received a dime for his work; the MDA alone has stated that he is their most committed volunteer.

This isn't the first time you have posted misinformaion and I don't believe for one minute you know his wife.

Exactly, Cakers. Tinkrbl44 is wrong about this.

FALSE Claim: Jerry Lewis kept a significant portion of the funds raised during the annual MDA Labor Day Telethon.

From a detailed Snopes article, complete with reliable sources and links:

"...everyone associated with the MDA Telethon — from star Jerry Lewis, to the numerous co-hosts and performers who also appear on the telecasts, to the operators who answer the pledge phones — volunteers his or her time without monetary compensation. The MDA's annual report (which, as a non-profit organization, they are required to make public) details, in reports prepared by independent auditors, where all the money they take in from various sources (including their annual Telethons) goes, and not a penny of it ends up in Jerry Lewis' pocket...

...Jerry Lewis receives no pay for his tireless year-round work for MDA. He is MDA's 'number-one volunteer' and star of the Telethon."

link: http://www.snopes.com/radiotv/tv/telethon.asp

Super Contributor

Hi doobs! Thank you for the Snopes report - that rumor about JL being paid has been around since the telethon began. One doesn't have to like JL but give the man credit where credit is due.

The MDA would have long ago been investigated if they were falsely reporting their expenditures.