Trusted Contributor

Re: Did You Have Any Collections As A Child?

There used to be dolls that were dressed from countries all around the world that you could buy from sending in the label from pot pies. My parents bought them for me. I had quite a collection of dolls lined up on my shelves. I actually still have them around somewhere.

Originally joined board 12-14-2004
Honored Contributor

At about 10 or 11 years old, I began collecting Nancy Drew books printed between the 1930's and 50's.  Quite a few first editions.  Still have them.  

Respected Contributor

never had a collection of anything.

Respected Contributor

As a young girl I had a collection of dolls about 12" high dressed in outfits for Christmas, Valentine, St. Patricks Day, Brides, Gowns, Alice Blue Gown, Cinderella and others I can't remember.  Had shelves in my bedroom for them.  I loved to read from the time I knew how and had quite a collection of books - Trixie Belden, Polly French, Nancy Drew, Cherry Ames and on and on.

As an adult I collected porcelain figurines (mostly ladies dressed in gowns) and Bradford plates and vintage painted china.

Of course, I have quite a collection of jewelry although I don't consider that a collection, but a necessity!  I can't begin to count the number of rings I have so I guess that is a collection.

My collecting days are now done - I'm on the opposite slope of decluttering instead of collecting.

Esteemed Contributor

Breyer horse statues (I still have and display them).  DH gave me a new one a few years ago.

Cogito ergo sum
Respected Contributor

When I was a child, I used to love to collect fancy old buttons, especially those made of Mother-of-pearl. Many were genuine antiques with little flower carvings and touches of gold. I found them at various flea markets and kept them all in a pretty wooden box. The buttons were never more than a dollar. Part of the fun was the ongoing "hunt" for a special find.  I am sentimental about the experience and still have all the buttons!  Now, as an adult with a salary, I collect much more --jewelry, shoes, clothes, and so forth.  

Honored Contributor

I collected Disney musical figurines.

Honored Contributor

I had Barbie everything....all the dolls male and female, two cars, two houses...they made it, I had it.  

Honored Contributor

We were so poor, but it didn't cost anything to pick up rocks, so I did have a rock collection that I used for a class project in grade school.

Honored Contributor

Madame Alexander dolls