Esteemed Contributor

Re: Did You Have A Milkman Growing Up?

Yes, our milkman was like part of the family and sometimes had breakfast with us.  I can see his face but can't remember his name but it was Honnekers Dairy.....also, the ice man and we'd run to get ice chips which spilled on the floor of the truck (I guess not too sanitary), fuller brush, the insurance man, the knife man, the umbrella man, the vegetable/fruit man, Electrolux man, The Good Humor man and the Yum Yum Man who sold Italian ices.  I also remember my parents buying encyclopedias from a door to door salesman. 

Trusted Contributor

Yes we did. He left milk butter eggs cottage cheese etc in our milk chute cabinet in our kitchen. This was in 50's. Hubby and I built a house in 1970 and it still had a milk chute in the garage. 

Esteemed Contributor

Yes, we had Riggins milk delivered every week.  I don't remember mom ordering anything other than milk unless I've just forgotten about it.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Until I was 9 we lived in an apartment building in Brooklyn...so no we didn't have a milkman then. 

We moved to a single family house in Queens in 1963 so we did have a milkman then for a few years.  However by 1966 we moved to a brand new single family home in South Jersey and that was the end of a morning milkman.

Trusted Contributor

Sure did.  I still say that the milk that was delivered in bottles tasted way better than todays milk in cardboard cartons.  We had a Bond Bread man that once a week would come to the house with a large tray of bread products.  Our produce was obtained from a man who drove a horse-drawn cart and yelled out "produce, fresh produce".  And it was fresh!  He later gave up the horse and had a truck and stopped announcing his arrival lol.  I'm so old I remember the umbrella repair man, the knife sharpener, the ice man, coal man and of course the man with the little monkey who begged for coins.  

Honored Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2   My father was a milkman.  Talk about hard work but he never missed a day.  We always had milk, cottage cheese, etc.  We lived on a corner and the bakery was across the alley on the corner of another block.  We would smell the bread baking at night and the kids would knock on the back door of the bakery and buy warm bread.  Those were the days you could be out late at nights with all the kids and parents, of course, and not have worries.  Oh, the butcher was about a 1/2 block away.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I was born in 1956.  I don't remember my family having a milkman, but my grandmother did.  I always thought that was so neat.  I remember that the milk came in glass bottles.  She would put the empty bottles back in the container for the milkman to pick up.  My grandmother also had a coal man.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yes, Borden's with a picture of Elsie on the truck.

Borden Dairy

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Contributor

Yes, our milkbox was on the side porch.  It was delivered in glass bottles with the cream on top.

Also, my uncle was a milk man & drove my mother to the hospital in the milk truck to have me!

Honored Contributor

Great thread....such good memories!  I grew up in 50's/60's north of Detroit.  We did have a milk delivery service....anyone from that area remember Twin Pines?  We had a "milk chute" next to our back door where milk was left.  Later, after I was married and had three young kids who went through a lot of milk, I had milk delivery again.  It was always left on my front porch.  Such a nice service....such good people making the deliveries!   Simpler times....happier times!