Respected Contributor

Re: Did You Have A Milkman Growing Up?

Grew up in a little bay area town, Atherton. The Borden's milkman came in and put the milk in the fridge. If my sister saw him she would tell him that my mother said he should bring some Rocky Road ice cream too. We used to fight over who got to take the lids off the glass bottles. The one who got to open the bottle got to lick the cream that was on the lid. Memories.

Respected Contributor

Yes we did! His name was Neil, and he either left the items on the back porch, or came into the kitchen and put them away in the refrigerator or freezer. Our door was always unlocked except when we were on vacation. Those were the days!

We got  2% milk, skim milk, and sometimes whole milk. If it was fudge making season, he would also leave whipping cream. Other items we got were cottage cheese and ice milk (it was lower in fat than ice cream).

I believe one of my parents called in the order if they wanted anything different and then dad was billed monthly.

Respected Contributor

Yes, I do recall we had the square silver box by the side of our house.  This must have been the early 60's.  I do not remember the dairy or the milkman but I do recall seeing bottles of milk in the box.

Here's an oldie but goodie, one of our neighbors had an Iceman.  They must not have had a refrigerator, but a true icebox at that time.  He'd take large square blocks of ice in these large black calipers(?) and bring them into their house.  He was an old fellow, and this sure did draw all the kids attention for some reason.  We'd all gather and watch him pick up the ice with those caliper thingees.

Another neighbor did get Charles Chips.  I figured they must be rich to get chocolate chip cookies and potato chips delivered.  How great was that?  We had a Good Humor Man and one of my favorites was the Whammy Stick for 5 cents.  A Toasted Coconut bar was actually my favorite, but they were more expensive.  Maybe .25 or .35 cents.

Flowers are nature's way of laughing
Valued Contributor

Until I moved, I had a milkman from Silverlake Dairy, who would deliver to my apartment -  not only milk, but orange juice, bacon, eggs and cottage cheese - so convenient!

Also had a bread man - with of course bread, but also cookies and cakes - 

And, because I am older, I actually remember the ice man bringing ice to my Grandmother's apartment in the Bronx.  Which rhen brings back the memories of the pots and pans man, who would also sharpen knives, and the rag man - 

Honored Contributor

No, my farm grandparents had cows that were milked twice a day.   

My maternal grandparents just 3 miles away lived on a milk route and had weekly deliveries.   

If Grandpa didn't have enough fresh milk for both families, Mom would ask her mother to order an extra gallon for us for that week.   

Trusted Contributor

We sure did!

Honored Contributor

WE DID!

sealtest milk delivery.....then i think we had cloverland farms milk delivery.

BUT, the did not just deliver milk......we got milk, cream, bread, ice cream, tastykakes, cheese, eggs, and more!

i sure do miss those days.

"if you dont own a cow call cloverland now at North92222!"

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Valued Contributor

This is how we ordered. Do you folks remember using anything like this?

williams dairy.jpg

“We should be too big to take offense and too noble to give it.” Abraham Lincoln
Super Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 wrote:

We had the Fuller Brush guy too.  Also, Charles Chips. 

My Mom had 3 Charles Chip cans she used at Christmas.  They would be full of chocolate chips cookies or sand tarts.

You can still buy tins full of Charles Chips on their website (also at Vermont Country Store) but now they're almost $27.00 for a pound. Gee maybe the Q should sell them! Woman LOL

Esteemed Contributor

yes...and now it's driving me crazy because i can't think of the name of the dairy!